crankshaft seal

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice
G'day, In reference to a 1976 Johnson 15 hp, just wondering what problems a damaged/worn crankshaft seal (top and/or bottom) will cause. Will it it just make it hard to start or can it also cause running/acceleration problems? This question is in further reference to a post I displayed earlier re bogging down.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: crankshaft seal

A bad top seal will often cause ignition problems on that outboard because the oil it spews will contaminate the points pretty quickly. It's a lot easier to diagnose - pop the flywheel off and if there's oil everywhere, check the seal.<br /><br />A bad bottom seal is trickier. I've seen really bad ones where fuel/oil will be spewed all up the exhaust housing and even in the bucket while running, but it's hard to be sure it's a marginally bad seal verses normal unburnt oil from the exhaust. Sometimes if you shine a flashlight up at the crankshaft with the lower unit off you can actually see whitish crud around the leaking seal. But usually there's some obstruction in the way.<br /><br />Bad crank seals will make for an impossible idle, as one cylinder will run much richer than the other. The problem will appear to go away as you rev up and the other cylinder kicks in, but it seems to me the engine will vibrate more perhaps due to the slightly different mixes at throttle. <br /><br />One thing though, if it's real bad there will be an obvious difference in the firing end of the spark plugs after "idling" for a couple minutes.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Paul, you're amazing. When do find time to sleep?

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice

Sooo, it shouldn't cause my motor to idle fine but then bog down with acceleration unless I slowly pick up the revs? And I agree with Paul. Having read a ****load of posts, you blokes must be one kangaroo short of the top paddock to be so dedicated. LOL

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Hay tdp - - - none of that cussin here ("you blokes must be one kangaroo short of the top paddock") - - that was cussin wasn't it?

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice

Ha ha. No, that's not cussin. I just threw it in for a bit of a laugh to see what sort of response I would get. I'm crackin' up. Cussin is the same as swearing isn't it? (Cussin /cursing) I wasn't swearing.

Moody Blue

Captain

Don't want to hijack this thread but this may be relevant. My motor (92 9.9 Evinrude) has the same basic block as the 15 and developed a problem just this last fall after 13 years of operation. While trolling at idle speeds, the motor coughs and stalls and spits out globs of a thick whiteish grey gunk. Also runs down the midsection housing from below the powerhead somewhere and also out the exhaust relief ports. The motor has never done this in the past and has been run extensively over the years. I also expected perhaps the lower crank seal and a blown gasket at the powerhead/midsection joint. Am about to tear it apart to see what I find. Will post back my findings later this weekend. The idle performance of the motor is definitely not as smooth and regular as it once was.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I don't think it's much of a hijack, since none of those symptoms fit tdp63's problem really. <br />But whenever you see the whitish stuff you gotta ask yourself, where is that water coming from? Blown head gasket? Leaky exhaust divider? Getting sucked into the crankcase through a leaky seal? In the gas tank?<br /><br />There really aren't too many places the water can come from to form an emulsion like that. If it is a bad bottom seal than you may be into it for a new bottom crank bearing as well. Mind you the fresh water might save you. (I guess?)

CFronzek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On any two-stroke motor a bad crankshaft seal will let mixture out and air in. Either way the motor will run LEAN. LEAN means more heat and maybe siezure or burned pistons. Once a seal starts to go it's never going to get any better.I wouldn't take a motor like that very far from help.<br /><br />Charlie