Crank Seals 85 150 Rude

HawkDriver

Cadet
Thanks for all the replies on the "New to this need help" thread. I have been in contact with the guy I bought it from and we have decided that the crank seals need to be checked. <br /><br />I was wondering if it is possible to replace these crank seals (9 total) without disconnecting the piston rods. Basically can I get away with: 1 pulling the powerhead off the lower unit, 2 removing all parts and separating the crankcase, 3 slide the crank out some and slip these new seal rings on, 4 then button it all back up with new gaskets and stuff? If not, what would your recommendations be? <br /><br />Just trying to visualize this process. Thanks for the help.

HawkDriver

Cadet
Re: Crank Seals 85 150 Rude

I forgot to mention that I will be following the procedures to specifications in the book. I'm just hoping for tips or tricks really. Thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

In the long run it will be easier to take the rod caps off. Especially when you try to realign the main bearing races.<br /><br />Why are you convinced the rings need replacing? I thought in your other post you were satisfied they were OK.

HawkDriver

Cadet

I talked to my guy and he read my post and he told me that he went over everything that was in my post and then some. He says that the only thing left to check is those rings. He is very experienced and spent alot of time with this engine and I trust that he went over everything.<br /><br />I ruled out the possibility of the ring problem before by looking for those "bursts" of fuel, but it was hard to tell. So it could be the problem still, I really don't know.<br /><br />Once I do check these rings I can for sure rule them out as the problem. I hate to tear into the engine like that, but if it is the problem then it would be well worth it. It really shouldn't cost too much to just take it apart and check them out or replace them. I'm thinking around 20 hours to do it all. And I can take a good look at the rest of the insides, good learning experience too. <br /><br />Can you tell me if 20 hours sounds realistic?

HawkDriver

Cadet

Thanks Walker, that is the exact picture I was looking for ;) Those are hard to see with the carbs on. I see em now, thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

20 hours is about right. you wont be happy. I have never seen the crank seal rings fail on a V jonnyrude. so when your done you still have to fix the problem.

HawkDriver

Cadet

But there is a possibility that one was not installed or was damaged during a recent rebuild.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Hawk, before you completly tear down the engine, you can kind of inspect the the crank rings after removing the intake. You may be able see one damaged or missing.<br />Contact me at eagles5@centex.net<br />I just went through what you are going through now.<br />Thanks.