Crank Bearing Install Lube

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm rebuilding a 1989 175 johnson crossflow big bore, and was wondering what type of assembly break in grease I would use on the crank and wrist pin bearings. Is there a special assembly grease or just use 2 stroke oil?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Crank Bearing Install Lube

Use TW-3 oil on any crank case bearing assembly, no grease of any kind, other than OMC needle bearing assembly grease.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot. You've helped me on a few things a few years back. But now I'm doing a major rebuild. Bored .020 over, and brand new everything. I'm not wasting time on troubleshooting. Better to have brand new, than replace something I tested wrong, and I melt another piston.

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

If you have individual needles and need to hold them in place, vaseline works well, and melts out at just over 100 degrees. In fact, you can melt it out with a hair drier, before closing up the crank case. I used it on two engines after a recommendation from a mechaincal design engineer with a PHD.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the cageed needle bearings instead. I dont feel like messing with them, and I know I'll lose at least one of them.