Cracks in teh transom

vogelfish

Cadet
Looking to buy a 24' Sportcraft - boat looks clean and is exactly what I'm looking for (and the right price too). BUT... and this is a big but... the transom is showing a crack along the deckline (see photo) and below deck in the bilge area (see photo). There is no sign of repair or cracking/damage on the outside of the transom. Looking for a few expert opinions on whether this looks repairable and what the cost of repair might run. Any help or advice appreciated.

IMG_7040.jpgIMG_7041.jpgIMG_7043.jpgIMG_7044.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cracks in teh transom

Personally, I'd run away from that one as fast as I could. Unless you do it yourself, looks like it could cost big bucks to repair.

I know everybody has their own opinion of "condition", but from the pics you showed it doesn't look "clean" to me. My 1964 beater looks cleaner.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looks like the transom is gone and if that's the case the stringers are most likely gone as well. I think it's a pass, VF - unless its really, really, really cheap or free. It's all repairable, pricy if you have it done and a lot of time and less $$ if you do it yourself.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welcome to iboats....

that is a fully rotted transom. the pro cost to replace.....any where form 2k-5k. i would need to see the whole boat to tell you how much.

there is a good chance that the stringers are rotten as well. that is an easy 4k

from a financial point of view.......you would not recoup your money......even if given to you.
you could do it your self..for 2k...we have many people doing this on the forums.....usually takes a first timer about 4 months of evenings and weekends.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

There is a 'waterline' on the INSIDE of a hull... That is a really bad sign! That boat is well past the point where it is recoverable. It needs to be junked. As others mentioned, even if you got it free, you are going to spend far more than what you would on a fairly nice used boat, not even counting hours.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Seriously, the guy is selling it "cheap" because he doesn't want to pay someone to dispose of it.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

It's perfectly fine, if you want a big project.

The insert in the plug hole is missing, water's getting into the transom right there (and probably other places as well). That's one of the worst transom's I've seen (and I've done 2 complete rebuilds now). So.... just adding one more voice to what's already been said - RUN!!!!!

It wouldn't hurt to point out to the seller that his boat has a bad transom that's going to become a safety issue in short order (although he probably already realizes it).

chriscraft254

Commander

Clean????????? Show us the rest of the boat!!!!!!! What year is the boat?????? How much is the guy asking for it??????? What motor and how many hours are on her?????? The transom is definately going to need attention, like a replacement. As already said, the stringers may be in just as bad of shape. But for the right price, right motor with right hours and the rest of the boat looks VERY clean, you might consider it. Transom replacement is no big deal to do yourself, but complete gut may not be worth it if the boat isn't worth it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The topsides don't look bad at all. In the first pics you put up all those rust stains are from (salt?) water leaking through the O/B mounting bolts holes. The cracks are from the inner transom being rotted so the fiberglass skin is supporting all the weight of the motor. If it's not fixed soon the motor will be at the bottom of the ocean or lake. Or at least dangling from the rigging. But it won't matter because the boat will be sinking or awash if the flotation is still good after the transom is breached. At best, it is a donor boat. I'm sorry, Buddy.

chriscraft254

Commander

What is your budget man, we may be able to find you a better boat! That looks like a mid to late 80's boat. The electronics look out dated, the helm area is to tight and it looks like the bottom is filthy from sitting in the water.

Like I asked before, what year? how much?

86 century

Ensign

+1 all of the above

Think of it this way no one here as any thing to gain by you not buying this boat.
I wish I would have been smart enough to ask these questions before I got my first pos.

Good luck

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The topsides don't look bad at all. In the first pics you put up all those rust stains are from (salt?) water leaking through the O/B mounting bolts holes.
Not saltwater, wood rot

vogelfish

Cadet

Hey thanks everyone for the great responses. Your opinions confirmed what I had suspected - transom is shot. I saw the crack below deck and thought "what caused that crack"? The only explanation I could come up with was the transom was waterlogged and the freeze thaw cycles caused it. Anyway - I got my running shoes on.

Chriscraft254 - here is my situation - I have an old beat up 22 foot Aquasport (I think it's a family fisher or sport fisher) It has an early 80's vintage Mercury 225 outboard that is shot (drive shaft spline is stripped) The transom on that boat is on it's way out as well. My mechanic said he can re-power it with a similar engine for around 2K but he doesn't recommend it. I'm looking to replace it with something under $5K. I run in salt water in South Jersey (ICW, Delaware Bay, and Ocean) and use it for fishing April through December. Looking for something with an enclosure (it's pretty cold in November/December when you're running wet!) and a large cockpit. Bow Pulpit for anchoring is a plus.