Cracked Engine Block

NCUndertaker

Cadet
Mechanic says my block is cracked. I am lost as far as mechanical and just need some advice to back up the mechanic is saying. The motor is a Volvo-Penta 2001, 5.0 GXi. He says I need a long block and risers...estimating around 6000.00 to replace. Does this sound about right? Any suggestions from the experts here?

Thanks in advance, I'm getting sick thinking about it.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cracked Engine Block

Mechanic says my block is cracked. I am lost as far as mechanical and just need some advice to back up the mechanic is saying. The motor is a Volvo-Penta 2001, 5.0 GXi. He says I need a long block and risers...estimating around 6000.00 to replace. Does this sound about right? Any suggestions from the experts here?

Thanks in advance, I'm getting sick thinking about it.
If that's a new engine & manifolds with labor, he is in the ballpark...;)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Does this sound about right? Any suggestions from the experts here?

Well, I'm no expert......but I have replaced a few boat engines.....

A suitable long-block will be about $2200 + shipping,tax and core. ($3000) MORE or less....depending on where you get it....

Manifold/riser kit for a Volvo 5.0 from an aftermarket source (OSCO) is somewhere around $550 + shipping and tax. ($650)

Other incidentals might be as much as $200-300.

Lessee........ we're close to $4K so far. (no labor)

Labor...... About $100/hr at most shops give or take.

I think it would easily take me 15-20 hours or more to do the job. (probably more)

If the dealer gets everything from Volvo, it will be MUCH more.

I think $6000 is probably a reasonable estimate depending on what he finds when it's all apart.

Good luck,

Rick

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

wish i was on a $100 an hour and i'd only be in until lunchtime on a monday,but as i'm not i've learnt to use tools myself.if u too are willing to go for it u could save a fortune and learn your craft inside out.look on www.michiganmotorz.com for prices or be ready to stump up a large sum.could it be jb welded as many cracked blocks have been recovered and run for years with satisfactory results.it may be worth a go!!!!!!!!

NCUndertaker

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I'm still waiting on the mechanic for a final word on the costs of the parts.

NCUndertaker

Cadet

One more question...if I was to attempt to remove and replace this engine myself, just how big of a job is it? I am mechanically inclined, have restored my 1969 mustang, but have never removed and replaced an engine in either a car or a boat.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It's not that big of a job if you have an area to work and a decent lift to pick up the engine.

You should buy a correct year OEM service manual if your planning it.

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do it your self. Boat engines don't look half as hard to take out as vehicle engines..

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

You can get a short block with new heads shipped to your front door for 1600 bucks. Switch everything over and throw some new risers and manifolds on and be done with it.

Get a manual and take allot of pictures before your tear it out. Just take your time and ask allot of questions. Thats what this forum is all about...

http://www.rapidomarine.com/default.aspx?p=/engines/default.aspx

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

The 350 will bolt right in and wont change a thing. Just gives you a bit more horse power to play with...