Cracked block on Volvo 3.0 gl - other engine options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk96

Cadet
First please excuse my ignorance as I don't know much mechanically about boats. I Just inherited a 2005 stingray 185 xl, volvo 3.0 gl motor, from my parents. They purchased it used last year and didn't winterize it resulting in a cracked block and manifold. Do to the cost to fix, they gave it to me for free so it was kind of hard to turn down. Now I'm trying to figure out my best options on the repair. I've talked to the local repair shop and was quoted $5500 to fix. I talked to a buddy of mine who suggested dropping in a rebuilt chevy 305 instead, however the local dealer said that the only option was to put in the same motor due to the drive, exhaust, etc not matching up to a different motor. Is this correct? Is my only option to buy a new volvo motor? If so, could I upgrade to the 4.3 or would it not match up either? Just looking for options and advise before I drop $5k. Thanks in advance.

jk

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Cracked block on Volvo 3.0 gl - other engine options?

Any gm 3.0 will fit. Right now you can get one on ebay. Smart move is to get a merc.

If the head is still good all you need is the short block and a manifold. Take everything else from the old motor.

Or you can get a good used 3.0 and drop in right in leave the bell housing alone just pull the motor.

I see on ebay a 800 dollar motor in fl. I would try to get a fresh water motor.

Hows the out drive?

Good luck!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

a 2005 boat huh... that's to bad.
Stop listening to your buddy. he's obviously not a boat person.

Every sterndrive has a unique gearing depending on the engine its mounted to.
a 3.0 is going to have 1 ratio
a 5.0 is a completely different ratio
The gearing has to be matched to the power of the engine or else it will never perform correctly.
Basically, its all got to be a matched set.

And that's just the drive, if you want to change an inline 4 to a V-8 or a V anything for that matter you might as well get a donor boat or just toss yours and buy a new one with a V8. There's way do many things that you would need to make the swap.

Obviously i can't see the boat, but 5500$ doesn't seem to unreasonable.

best of luck...

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Can get a NEW 3.0 crate engine from Michigan Motorz (on ebay and also do google search) for under $2000.

jk96

Cadet

a 2005 boat huh... that's to bad.

Yep - they bought it from a bank auction and only paid $7K for it and decided they didn't want to put the money in it to fix it. They've only taken it out once. The boat only has 11 hours on it so it's in brand new condition other than the motor. That's why I figured it was well worth fixing, especially considering its condition.

Can get a NEW 3.0 crate engine from Michigan Motorz (on ebay and also do google search) for under $2000
So if I went to with the Michigan Motoz engine you listed - http://www.michiganmotorz.com/Marine+Engines/Volvo+Penta+replacement+engines/3.0L+base+marine+engine+%281967-2008+replacement%29 it should match up to my existing out drive without any problems? It's a GM based engine, so I'm assuming the performance would be similar? The HP numbers look about the same. I've got a mechanic that owes me a favor so I could probably get him to work on it for me. Any reason anyone could tell me not to go with this engine and stick with the Volvo engine? $2k sounds much better the $5k.

Maclin

Admiral

That one is a replacement for your "Volvo" engine, this is quoted from that page....:"Direct replacement for 1990 - 2008 3.0L OMC, Volvo Penta, Mercruiser, etc..."

I put Volvo in quotes because the base 3.0l engine is the same nowadays for Merc or Volvo. The intake, exhaust, ignition and accessories are different and that is what makes it a "Volvo", more about how it interfaces with the drive and electrical and ignition components. So you can use that engine underneath all the Volvo "stuff". Horsepower should be identical.

jk96

Cadet

Questions - Round 2.

Took the boat to a "good ol boy" a friend recommended that runs a marine repair shop. He took a quick look at it and said that if the crack was external and not internal that he may be able to salvage the engine. Also said he would weld the manifold and start it up so that he could check for water in the oil after the manifold and block were fixed.

Can a cracked block be fixed? I would assume that if enough pressure built up from freezing to crack the block that it would also distort the cylinders. If it is salvagable is this just a bandaid repair? He said he was behind and would be a couple of weeks before he could look at it.

At any rate - he quoted me $100 to fix the crack, weld the manifold, start it up to check for water in the oil. Even if the blocks turns out to be shot, I figure $100 to pull the manifold and have it welded would be worth it considering $400+ for a new one. Thoughts?

chiefalen

Captain

If that good ole boy can do it all for a 100 dollars let him. You get a year out of it maybe 20 minutes maybe 20 years who knows.

Go for it whats a 100 bucks?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Welding the block.......

Yes and no.

A professional/dealer can not weld a block for you. Not if we want's to keep his business anyways.

There's to much liability in it. What if the repair leaks while your out on the water..... you don't see it because it's under the hatch... and now you have 300 gallons of water in your boat (at 8lbs a gallon) and running the engine only makes it leak more? And oh yeah, your bilge pump crapped out because they love to crap out at the most inopprotune times.

Now.... yes the block may be able to be repaired.... but you NEED to KEEP AN EYE ON IT ALWAYS!!!!!!!

Your best bet is cold welding, such as epoxy weld or JB Weld. Cast iron does not like to be welded, although it can by an EXPERIENCED welder.

100 bucks.... well.... who knows.... it's a big piece of mind thing for alot of people.
If your mechanicly inclined we (or i) can walk you through how to do it and prep the metal. But you would need to pull the manifold and snap some pic's so we can all see how big a crack where talking about.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Jk - I bought a boat, a 3.0 two years ago not knowing a thing about boats. I'll never do it again without a survey. My '93 3.0 had an "external" cracked block. In fact, the crack is in such a good area on the block the marina mechanic said dont even jb weld it. Well in the last 2 years weve had the boat out about 25-30 times. So, I would absolutely pay your friend the $100 to see if it has water in oil. You may have the external crack where water does not mix with oil. If it does not and engine runs, do the JB weld thing.

jk96

Cadet

I don't think he planned on welding the block, but instead planned on using some type of epoxy. He said he had something that "worked wonders" on an engine block. He did say that the manifold would have to be welded due to the higher pressure in the manifold than the block. For $100 I figured I couldn't go wrong either.

I also asked him about swapping out the engine with a new crate engine if the repair was in vain and he quoted me $300 labor to do the swap including tune up. Looks like I may be able to get into a new engine for the boat for under $2500. If the jobs done well, I'll have to give him a little extra for the work. Almost makes me feel guilty at the price he quoted.

jk

chiefalen

Captain

Where you using the boat? On a lake? Go for it.

jk96

Cadet

Yep - I'm in the Midwest so just using on freshwater lakes. I'll post an update when I get some additional news.

jk96

Cadet

UPDATE...............

Got a phone call this morning. Block and manifold is fixed, no leaks and running good. I'll pick it up tomorrow and take it for a test run to see how she does. :D

JustJason

Vice Admiral

good for you!!! Just remember to keep an eye on it!!

jk96

Cadet

Will do. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. Great forum and nothing but positives on all of the different threads I've been reading.

jk

Hello everyone, I've read all the questions and answers from above. I discovered that I have a crack running along the side of my block. There's actually more than one area. I have taken it out a few times since last winter. There's no water in the oil. So I'm pretty sure its just external. I didn't even know it was there until my power steering belt broke. Just figured I would post and get some opinions. We really don't have a couple grand for a new block this year. I'm going to go ahead and pull the motor and access further.

Attachments

• 20211011_171937.jpg
    20211011_171937.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.