CPU problems

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer
I can only hope some of you can HELP me with my current problem. <br /><br />My situation is this. When trying to boot my CPU, WIN 98 SE, it will start then shutdown(without warning) and go throught several cycles before actually launching.<br /><br /> I have a cable(comcast) modem, until this started I was running McAfees virus scan and firewall. I have run a virus scan, several times, scandisk, and defrag. <br /><br /> My basic theories on what may be the culprit, excluding an unkown virus problem, are either my power supply is failing, the motherboard is on it's last legs, or the actual power switch is ready to take an absolute garbage pail rest.<br /> <br /> I am not sure if anyone can help with this, but any direction on how to trouble shoot this problem would be much appreciatied.<br /><br /> Thank you in advance,

petryshyn

Commander
Re: CPU problems

>Does it make it to the post (beep) test when it won't boot?<br />>Is it an AT or ATX case?<br />>Have you tried reseating the power supply connectors on the motherboard?<br />>You say it shuts down. Does it power down, or just hang?<br />>Does the fan on the power supply run when unit turned on?<br />>Does the fan on the CPU run when turned on?<br />>Once the unit finally boots, does it function properly?

Jerryda96

Cadet

Not sure from the info you provided whether Windows is shutting you down or a possible connection problem is shutting the PC down.<br />If you don't get a message that implies Windows is shutting down then I'd start with the power cord. Remove it and reinstall it, in the PC and the power strip or wall outlet.<br /> The beeps are very important, as suggested earlier. If you get them they need to be counted and searched on the PC manufacturers web site. Microsoft.com has these somewhere also.<br /> If your processor is faster than about 300 MHZ, then you probably have a fan attached to the CPU chip. Make sure it is blowing.<br /> When it does boot up does it stay up for hours? If so the fan is OK.<br /> Really need more info.

wannabeboater

Seaman Apprentice

Does it reboot itself while tryin to boot?<br />Once its booted do you get memory errors?<br />Does the keyboard stop working at odd times?<br />Is the power supply hot to the touch?<br /><br />From what you decribes it does sound like a power supply problem.<br /><br />schematic you a computer tech? you asked most of the questions I would have asked.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DaleT, two basic problems possible here.<br /><br />1. Hardware. Like all the other people mentioned, it is possible that you have a power supply problem or some other piece heating then shorting to ground temporarily.<br /><br />2. The other possibility is software. Win 95 and 98 are susceptable to drivers crashing the operating system on boot up intermittently. I have even seen mouse drivers do this.<br /><br />- Does the computer POST (Power On Self Test) when it reboots? This means does it count the memory and redetect the hardware (Hard drives etc)?<br />- Did you make any changes to your software or hardware configuration just before this started happening?<br />- When does the computer reboot? Is it always at the same place in the boot cycle. Example, when the Windows splash screen comes up or when your desktop shows up? If this is the case, it would be more likely a software driver problem. If it reboots randomly and does a POST then it is more likely a hardware problem.<br /><br />You said when this happens that it happens many time in a row. Try this after the first time it happens. After your computer counts the memory, hit the F8 key. This is one of the function keys at the top of your keyboard. This will bring up a text menu. Use your arrow keys to highlight "Safe Mode", then hit enter. This will take your computer into "Safe Mode" which is a troubleshooting mode in Windows. Do panic, it will look weird. It will say safe mode in the four corners of the screen and you will only be displying 16 colors at 640x480 resolution on your monitor so everything will be really big and you may not see all your icons etc. If it does boot right away into safe mode, then most likely your have a software problem. What safe mode does is to not run some of your boot files, not load most of your drivers (programs that tell your computer how to use the hardware your have) and to load default (basic) drivers for the things you need like your video card. After you find if this helps, just shut down and reboot the machine it will come back up like normal. If you still get the text menu, select Normal boot at the top.<br />Let us know what happens.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info guys. The fan seems to be working properly, as once the unit is running it will run with no problems, other than my display settings getting changed occasionally. <br /> I'm not positive on the case, I will try and find out and let you know.<br /> There were no changes, additions, or subractions to any software prior to this happening. <br /> It goes through the POST everytime it restarts itself. Sometimes it will make it into Windows and others it won't. Normally when this is happening it won't go into safemode or normal. <br /> I have yet to check the actuall power chord, never even thought of it to be honest.<br /> There have been no memory errors or any error massages whatsoever. <br /> I'm not sure what more info I can give that would be of any use, if I think of anything I'll attempt to post it. <br /> Thanks, Dale

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

The best way I can describe what it is doing is the process is identical to pushing the reset button. <br /> Thanks again, <br /> Dale

petryshyn

Commander

Hi again<br /><br />Once you get it to boot up properly, and its into windows, give the harnesses and power cord the wiggle test while its on. If its a bad connection or wiring, this should agrivate it and shut it down. If you can't cause it to shut down while tugging gently on the wiring, its not likely a wiring issue. If it runs OK once started, its not likely a cooling issue.<br /><br />Few things that come to mind...<br />>IRQ/memory conflict<br />>Motherboard incorrectly dropping the "Power good" signal to the power supply<br />>noisy power supply causing motherboard to drop "power good" signal<br /><br />I'd bet on the IRQ/memory conflict since you say it always makes it past the post test.<br /><br />First thing I would do is to remove the sound card and see if it cures the problem. If it does, just reinstall the card and let windows re-detect it. Sometimes it just needs to reshuffle the IRQ's till its happy......<br /><br />Let us know and we'll carry on further...<br /><br />wannabeboater....if its got wires......me like!

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dale, Sounds like a hardware problem. It could be anything. What equipment do you have in the computer?<br /><br />Internal modem, network card, video card, I/O port card (Serial and Parallel ports), number of Hard drives, CD-ROMs, Floppy drives? What processor speed? Any other information would be helpful. Is it brand name, homebuilt, locally built?<br /><br />The difference between AT and ATX is the AT has a hard on/off switch. It turns the power on to the power supply manually. The ATX is a momentary switch that connects to the motherboard. When you push it in, it makes momentary contact that the motherboard detects. The motherboard then gives the signal to power on.<br /><br />What happens if you hit F8 and let it sit there? Does it still reboot? <br /><br />If you can get the unit to reboot without going into windows, then troubleshooting will be easier. <br />Check BIOS seetings and write them down.<br /><br />If it will reboot without going past the F8 menu, then take it down to the minimum configuration.<br /> <br />1. Unplug computer and then ground yourself on power supply.<br />2. Remove expansion cards except video (Note which slots they are in.<br />3. Remove as much memory as possible that will still let you boot to the F8 menu.<br />4. Disconnect CD-ROM, Floppy drive, secondary hard drive cables. Both power and data.<br />5. See if this helps. You will not want to boot into the Windows Graphical User Interface (even in safe mode) or your config will be changed.<br /><br />6. If the power problem goes away then, one of the things you removed is the culprit, if not, then swap the memory your removed with the stuff you kept in. If the problem is still there, then it is power supply, motherboard, memory or Hard drive.<br />7. Power down. Disconnect the hard drive cables power and data. Let it boot to "Insert System disk" prompt. Did this solve the problem? This will eliminate the hard drive.<br /><br />You could also try making a system disk in windows or if you already have one, boot to the diskette instead of always having to hit F8 in time. Most likely your floppy drive is fine and you could leave that connected.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

I just replaced my cpu after the last lightning strike....Thank the lord for insurance.<br /><br />After all is said and done get norton utilitys. If I have a problem with windows (one that I did not create) It helps me out and keeps my computer up to snuff.<br /><br />I don't know much about computers but I know how to mess one up real good.<br /><br />Sorry to here your having problems and that I cant help.<br /><br />Derwood

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Derwood, excellent advice. Norton utilities is an excellent utility package. Also, a good surge suppressor is critical. The cheap ones will only take one hit and may not fully protect.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

sorry guys, I haven't had time to really look at it yet, to get the requested info. Hopefully I will later tonight, as soon as I do I'll post the results, as long as this thing will let me get back on. Thank you all so much.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I still I don't know what the problem was. It hasn't done it for the past 2 days, according to the family. I have not had it occur on me in that span. All I can say is this thing really confuses me. I haven't checked it yet, but could a faulty power switch cause this? I'm thinking maybe it got knocked a little loose and somehow knocked back. I believe it is an ATX case. <br /><br />To all who have helped I send you all my most sincere thanks. It is not everyday you meet people willing to give away information, as well as their time to someone. <br /> <br />Again thank you,<br /> Dale

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dale, a faulty power switch could do it. Most likely not on an ATX case however. Power supply is the most likely culprit. If a capacitor is going bad, it can short itself for a second and that would reboot the computer. One thing you could do is to blow your computer out with compressed air from a office supply store. Don't use it from your compressor because of the oil and static. Make sure the computer is unplugged. then ground yourself on the power supply. Take every card out of it socket and reseat it. While this may not eliminate the problem, it will get rid of one small possibility and will help your computer cool. make sure all the fans in the unit are running. Don't touch the leads on the card, just the metal bracket and the card edges. Make sure you touch the power suppy to disharge any static. Good luck, you know where to come for help if it starts happening again.