Cowling insulation

rqbayliner

Cadet
I have a 1992 Force 120HP and the sound deading insulation which was glued to the interior of the cowling has disintegrated. What can I use as a substitute since the engine noise is extremely loud now.

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cowling insulation

I have a 1992 Force 120HP and the sound deading insulation which was glued to the interior of the cowling has disintegrated. What can I use as a substitute since the engine noise is extremely loud now.

Are you referring to the spongy liner on the inside of the cowling? I have actually scraped off the remains of mine because it was crumbling and making a mess. I was afraid this stuff getting sucked in to the carbs and causing damage to the motor. I really do not think it makes that much difference with the sound dampening.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Are you referring to the spongy liner on the inside of the cowling? I have actually scraped off the remains of mine because it was crumbling and making a mess. I was afraid this stuff getting sucked in to the carbs and causing damage to the motor. I really do not think it makes that much difference with the sound dampening.

Ditto...and mine DID flake off and get into the carb...so mine is completely cleaned off now.

Unbalanced

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I installed some acoustical foam from McMaster and it did reduce the sound level quite a bit on my 85hp. I can actually hear the radio at full throttle.
I ordered 2 feet of this stuff and there was very little scrap left over. I used foil tape on the seams.

McMaster Carr # 5692T493
Acoustical Polyurethane Foam Absorber Adhesive Back, Skinned, 1" Thk, 54" W, 2'L
In stock at $12.58 per Ft.