Cowl hood question

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks. I just recently bought a nice cowl hood off of ebay for my Force 125. The cowl is in outstanding shape and actually has the insulation inside of it and I'm hoping that will cut down on some of the noise. Will it really cut down on the noise drastically or no? I have nothing to compare it to because my old cowl didn't have the insulation when I bought it.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> Tim

jeffmock

Seaman
Re: Cowl hood question

tteal,<br />I was working on mine Wed. and noticed the foam insulation flaking off and getting all over the motor (which may be some of my problem) so I pulled about half of it out. I ran it that night after decarb and I don't think it made a noticable difference.

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took the boat out today and wow did it make a serious difference in noise levels. With my old cowl hood, it was extremely loud. With the new cowl hood, I can barely hear it run.<br /><br />Just thought I'd post a follow-up.<br /><br />Thanks for the input.<br /> Tim

Forceluver

Seaman Apprentice

I just spent 3 hours retro fitting a car hood pad and used some spray glue to hold it all in. Then I went over it with metal tape for duct work. I hope there is a noice difference for this cause It was loud.

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forceluver,<br /> As stated with my old cowl hood without insulation, it sounded like a lawnmower on steroids. Now when I start it, I had to ask my wife and kids if the thing was actually on. :)