Cowl for fisherman

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice
Help men.
Ireally need a cowl for my 1961 5 1/2 fisherman,if anyone can help or knows of a possible source I'd be very grateful.
Geoff69.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Cowl for fisherman

I have a '59 one that's been painted black. Dunno if it fits (they look the same) or if you'd want it. Pretty darn far to ship though.

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply,don't really care what color it is,that can always be changed,More concerned about the fit,I don't know what years had that same hood,perhaps someone else here does but if it fits I'll certainly have it.What were you wanting for it and I'll just have to bite the bullet on the shipping.
Geoff69

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Well find out if it fits then and we can work it out. I don't need much for it. $20 is fine. And shipping. I could box it up.

I'd have to dig it out of the shed. Would send a pic first to make sure it's want you want.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You gotta find out if it will fit or not though. Not much point doing anything until we know as I don't know.

If you go here you can look the different years and looks of the cowls. It wont tell you if it will fit or not. Just visual appearance.

http://www.old-omc.de/

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice

Had a look on that site and it apperars the 59 and the 61 are very different so I guess it's a no go.Thanks for your response though.
Geoff 69

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Really? As they look pretty darned identical to me. What do you see that is different?

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice

Well,if you look at the Evinrude catalog for 59,Page 8,the Fisherman has a very square hood with a level pan,whereas on page 18-19 of the 61 catalog the hood is very wedge shaped,with a kind of horizontal vee shape at the rear and with the pan very sloping with the recoil start handle high at the front.That's the one I'm looking for.Geoff 69.

Sorry,actually it's on page 10,not page 8.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Crap. I was thinking Johnson the whole time and was looking at the Johnson's. Not the Evinrudes. Yes, the '61 is a wedge. Sorry, I only have the Johnson cowling. I know the '61 E5.5 well as it was my first OMC engine of note. I used it to push my 16' pontoon boat and it did an good job and got great economy.

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice

S'ok Steve,no problem,easy mistake to make .I've done it myself a couple os times when asking about something on here.All the Best for Christmas and the New Year.
Geoff69