cover (strip) with 6 holes on gear case ! what is this ?

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice
cover (strip) with 6 holes on gear case ! what is this ?

Hello all ,

Jonhson 67 33hp

lower gear case on the opposite site of the fill and drain plugs for the gear oil , There is like a inspection plate about 8" wide and 1" thick with 6 holes in the bottom left .

When i filled her up with oil , oil leaked out of the holes i removed the cover and found one inlet and one outlet inside , Oil cant supposed to in there as this whole part is underwater when i take her out ??? Oil was coming from the top left side , i thought it was for water !

Have i done something wrong ? or is this normal ? i hope its normal .

thanks guys

D

DJ

Re: cover (strip) with 6 holes on gear case ! what is this ?

That;s the water inlet, allright.

No, oil should not come from there. are you sure it's oil and not exhaust residue?

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice

Yes was def oil coming as i had it in bits at the time , i pored oil direct in to the hole were the shaft for the gears go in and oil pored out that strip bit ?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Those holes in the strip allow water to be drawn into the pump when the outboard is in reverse.

Likely the driveshaft seal is leaking, as it's directly beneath the water pump.

To remove the lower unit is quite simple. Remove the access window on the starboard side of the midsection and completely remove one of the two screws on the coupler found behind it:
nf5nbk.jpg

Then the six small bolts and one large bolt that holds it on need to be removed. After that, you should be able to pull the entire lower unit on.

I hope it is just the driveshaft seal, but you'll have to investigate further. You mentioned you had some mysterious cracks in the lower unit earlier. I hope the case didn't end up filled with water and then frozen or something.

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice

i did fill it through the drive shaft hole rather than the normal way while it was off , could oil have gone another route while i filled it up ?

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Did you spill any oil when you filled the LU, it is possible for oil to make it's way down the water intake if it there was some spilt.
You should fill the LU via the oil drain plug, most gearbox oil comes in squeezable bottle with an adaptor pipe. Squeeze the oil in through the drain until untill it overflows the top plug, refit the top plug then quickly remove adapter and refit the drain plug.
Filling this way ensures you dont get any air locks in the LU.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If the leak is as bad as it seems, it might be worth trying to pressurize the gearcase a little. I don't mean bothering with a bicycle pump and a cleverly carved tire valve stem, but rather with a simple piece of hose butted up to the fill or vent plug seat and lung pressure. If it's really bad you'll know in a few seconds. Negative lung pressure is better at finding leaks but you'll possibly end up with motor breath.