cover pole systems

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My new boat doesn't have the original canvas and I am running with one of those overall boat covers.<br />Whether using canvas, vinyl or this type of cover, I know from experience I need some sort of pole system to keep the cover up so that rain doesn't pool on it. After a hard rain last night, the cover had 2' feet of water on it and stretched to the floor.<br />Has anyone designed or bought a system to keep covers up so that rain runs off instead of pooling? I am trying to find something that is easy to put up, take down, and store.<br />Suggestions???

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: cover pole systems

Just take the middle of where the water pooled up and get an adjustable aluminum support at Boaters world for about $15 and pitch it up.Depending on how big a cover it is you may need two poles.My mooring cover has a reinforced gromet where it is pitched and my pole has a point on the end to go through the gromet.I have seen some with a snap to hold it in place.Charlie

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I use a couple pole setups from Wallyworld. They come is sections to adjust height. I have nylon cord tied to them in a triangulating manner to keep them from moving, and I installed snaps on the cover to snap to the original snap on boat. This keeps the rain out 100%, and was very cheap. The downside is it takes about ten minutes to set all that crap up, but the upside is no water ever gets in the boat. Its worth it to me...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Lots of ways to skin a cat....<br /><br />I made a "saw horse" out of 1x4 pine. It is about 3.5' tall and 6' long. Stapled some carpet pad to the corners so there were no sharp edges. Just set it in the boat and pull the cover over it.

Ralph 123

Captain

I use CC's method. I haven't put a grommet in yet so I put a hole in a tennis ball and put that on the top of the pole to keep the "point" from ripping through the cover. <br /><br />If you want to go really cheap, buy a length of 1/2 PVC pipe and use that for the pole and put a cap on both ends.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I throw a saw horse in the back of the boat as well. I got a metal one at home depot that folds up very small - about 3 feet long by 2 inches by 4 inches or so. It's easy to tuck under a seat or leave it at home - either way.

Ralph 123

Captain

jsfinn - that's a great idea for my winter storage solution. A lot less work than the frame I put together last year. Thanks!!!!

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use 2 fiberglass slats about 2"x1/4" that fit into sockets on the gunwales & span across the boat. I cut the slats to a length that push up my cover enough to keep the water from ponding.<br />I probabably could use a third, but I leave the seatback up near the bow for more support.<br />They are easy to put on & off. Got them at boatus.<br /><br />For a winter cover I spliced a 2x4 long enough to span the boat & motor(about 18') & support it w/ 2x4's that shaved down to fit in the 2 seat sockets & built a support at the stern that rests on the rear deck. The whole thing is stabilized w/ guy ropes that keeps everything in place. <br />The winter cover is much higher to allow the snow to slide off. This cover is made of 2 heavy duty tarps from Loews. I couldn't find one the right width x length.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How does everyone let air flow under their tarp/cover? Is there a trick to keeping moisture down?

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

My winter cover is open some at either end.<br />My summer cover doesn't fit tight at splash well. It seems to vent OK.

hise

Seaman Apprentice

I was spoiled with my trailered sailboat... With the mast horizontal over the boat, it made a natural tent for a tarp.<br /><br />I carried the concept over to our runabout... made a pvc frame that runs a little longer than the boat and put a heavy duty tarp over it. Having the pvc support longer than the boat allows the boat to be vented at each end for good cross circulation without getting wet (unless its a really heavy horizontal rain).<br /><br />The cost ($5 for the pvc, $35 for the tarp) was about the same as some of the support systems I saw for my fitted duck canvas cover. I'm just going to use the fitted cover for when I leave the boat at the dealership for service (and maybe towing, if I get enough good straps for it)<br /><br />--Hise