cover a boat stored indoors?

jprice

Seaman
Ok, probably a stupid question, but I'm a boating noobie, so I'll ask anyway.
I just bought a 96 seadoo speedster. It is stored in my garage, and the only time it will ever be outside is going to/from and being on the lake.
So is there any reason to buy a boat cover for this?

this forum wont let me

Seaman Apprentice
Re: cover a boat stored indoors?

I have a classic car that does not move around very much per my choice but I cover my car and if I had room in the other stall of my garage I would keep the boat covered as well. I don't know but you but my clean garage seems to always get dust leaves and just day to day dirt that seems to settle. I hope you cover it, it will make you feel good knowing you are taken care of your new toy.

Bifflefan

Commander

As for the inside covering,, I do just because.
A good reason to buy a "Trailerable Cover" is you get better mileage while towing. And it also keeps the stuff you forgot to secure from flying out on the road.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't think so unless you just want to keep it dust free or to keep the cat off etc. Boats seam to be the place to have everything sat on top of them when in the garage a cover would also help to detour this.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

lay a painting drop cloth over it to keep it clean and make sure you stabilize the fuel and do all the "storage" maintenance items........ taking care of the battery for instance.

I would also wax it but w/o a drop cloth it will accumulate a top of dirt and dust

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, probably a stupid question, but I'm a boating noobie, so I'll ask anyway.
I just bought a 96 seadoo speedster. It is stored in my garage, and the only time it will ever be outside is going to/from and being on the lake.
So is there any reason to buy a boat cover for this?

Not trying to change the subject, But how cold does it get in your garage over the winter?? Even though a boat is garage kept w/out heat you can still harm your boat, here in KY it still get well below 32* in the dead of winter,
0*- 10* in Jan & Feb. Sorry not trying to hyjack just don't know where he is located.

jprice

Seaman

Thanks guys.
I like the idea of the trailerable cover, but feel like it might be too much trouble at the ramp.
For now I think I'll just go with the cheap drop cloth while it's in the garage.

As far as temp is concerned, I'm near Atlanta, so I've never seen the garage get below freezing.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i keep mine indoors and its always covered. theres always dust in the air where i live though. i would cover it, there are plenty of decent fitting covers out there for cheap.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Check the walmart (don't remember the brand) semi-custom covers for $55.

Bifflefan

Commander

Thanks guys.
I like the idea of the trailerable cover, but feel like it might be too much trouble at the ramp.
For now I think I'll just go with the cheap drop cloth while it's in the garage.

As far as temp is concerned, I'm near Atlanta, so I've never seen the garage get below freezing.

You have a short memory...:eek:
It snowed in Atlanta last year....:D

As for redone i think the last time it snowed by him was in the last ice age. I want to live there..

jprice

Seaman

Um, yeah... maybe an inch at most? Not much below freezing.
My garage still wasn't that cold.
I have a room over the garage, and one adjacent. If I had the worlds best insulation, it might get colder in there, but it doesn't.
So I guess I'm "lucky" to be incidentally heating my garage. (you don't want to see my gas bill)

In any event, covering a boat and actually winterizing it are two different things.
Will I buy a boat cover for my boat? Maybe.
Will I winterize it? Definitely.

briguy2817

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I park mine in the garage and never cover it. In fact, I put the cover in the mesh bag and tossed in into the atic. I guess the only reason I don't cover it is because in the winter, I like to tinker with it. Sometimes the kids and I will go out and sit in it just for the heck of it.

Now, the motorcycle is another matter, it's covered if I'm not going to ride it for more than a week.

Brian

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

As for redone i think the last time it snowed by him was in the last ice age. I want to live there..

it snowed in town twice in the past 7 years that i remember.....only 1 of those times was thick enough to actually stick. I get the walmart covers, i tear em every few years or so, then go get another one. they actually hold water if you do have to cover it outside at all.