coupler repair question

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
apparently last time i dropped my utility trailer this happened. found in the grass next to the coupler.
1701020121394.png

1701020138893.png

never heard of such a thing and i've had lots of old trailers in my day. Thankfully google tells be its an easy fix and ironically the trailer I borrowed for the parade had one replaced. Prob would never have noticed the non black fixture unless this had happened to me.

One question - in my shopping there seems to be a lot of brand specific ones or is that just an attempt to charge more money? Its about a 40 year old trailer with no history. I would guess as long as I match pic to mine when I get it off I'd be good?

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bolted on a new coupler on my snowmobile trailer. It was $12. Is that an option for you?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a jury rig anyway, should be a pin where that bent wire goes thru...

I've been using #8 coated solid copper for close to 20 years when there is no clevis pin (or similar) when i acquire the trailer. never an issue. Still have about 30 feet left so assuming my boys will use when I'm dead.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I've been using #8 coated solid copper for close to 20 years when there is no clevis pin (or similar) when i acquire the trailer. never an issue. Still have about 30 feet left so assuming my boys will use when I'm dead.
Much safer to replace the pin or add a bolt, remember when an issue arrises you might put others in harms way...

airshot

Rear Admiral
Thought about that but would then need to sleeve on an extension to replace and would try not to spend the money for that. Anthing to look for when i inspect?
If the cost of a coupler is to much, perhaps boats are not a good hobby for you. I have numerous hobbies and boating us the most expensive one.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Had my coupler break similar to that. Turned out the previous owner had bent it and straightened it before I bought it. Yup, the boat fell off the hitch ball and the tounge slid under the truck. Lucky I was going downhill in town, slowly. Another mile and I would have been on the highway. Lesson learned. Now I inspect and replace any that I have doubts about. It’s not worth the risk.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
If the cost of a coupler is to much, perhaps boats are not a good hobby for you. I have numerous hobbies and boating us the most expensive one.
I appreciate your thoughtful response however i will manage my money my way and do not need financial advice just technical.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Depending on what size your coupler is, all you need is something like this:

Yep, but i went with the Curt brand.

I looked over the rest of the coupler and no real rust. The coupler is pinned and welded.

Whole trailer is in good shape. Its my 82 year old neighbors and after seeing it just sit in the barn for the last 15 years i asked if i could put tires on and borrow it as needed so he just gave it to me. Same guy that lets me keep my boat in his barn. The road is named after his great grandfather. Daughter lives next door and grannie opals house sitting empty since she passed a couple years ago. They are all good people.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
New latch on and about 50 miles on the road.

just need some black paint to match it up.