couple questions on a boat I'm eyeballing

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I reevaluated my needs I think for now I'm looking into getting something just for cruising and fishing. I've been looking for something inexpensive just to get started and I found this boat. 1972 starcraft 18ft Aluminum v-bottom, has a 120 hp mercruiser I/O new carpet and floor, eagle depth/fish finder,ship to shore radio,rodholders,life jackets,tilt trailer he wants 1200 o.bo. Boat looks decent,runs with the ears on, everything is in good used shape as far as I can tell. My questions for you guys before I go do a lake test are. With it being aluminum where all do I have to look for rot,do you think its a good price, I didnt see a data plate so what would be max load for the boat, and also the boat is an olive green. How hard is it to repaint and what paint would I use.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: couple questions on a boat I'm eyeballing

being an i/o find out the last time the bellows , manifolds, and outdrive were serviced. painting, sand and paint.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old