Couple of trolling motor questions...salt water...depth, etc.

FINANDPRAYER

Cadet
I have searched and read all of the salt water trolling motor posts here and the general consensus is to get a salt water designed troller. However, several folks have said that they regularly use a fresh troller in salt and just wash it off.<br /><br />Of those who say don't--the electronics getting exposed to the salt water would destroy them...seems to me that any water, salt or otherwise would do a number on exposed electronics. Correct?<br /><br />How about this: Install a sacrificial anode on the fresh troller--use a zinc anode for salt water and a magnesium anode for the fresh water. Would that work?<br /><br />Next question:<br />Someone here said that a bow mounted troller should be 20 or more inches below the waterline to work properly. True? Seems to me that would constrain draft quite a bit for those times in the flats and would wreak havoc in Lake Talquin with it's forest of submerged timber.<br /><br />Need advice!!! :confused: <br /><br />Thanks in advance.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Couple of trolling motor questions...salt water...depth, etc.

They're adjustable, pretty much come in 2 lengths, I bought the shorter one, when the chop kicked up it would come out of the water. That was on a 20' Lund. Lucky they let me return it! With the long shaft I could put it deep or very shallow, but I could make that choice.<br /><br />If you're fishing salt water you won't regret getting a salt water model. Whole bunch of differences, it's not just the color............<br /><br />Good Luck

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got the Minn Kota Powerdrive Riptide #74 w/ autopilot and just upgraded to co pilot this season. My boat weighs over 2,500 lbs. and I am very satisfied with the performance of this setup as it doesn't seem to have a problem moving my boat around. It is also a miser on battery consumption. Although I purposely tried to drain them a few times after use for several hours, the trolling motor kept on going without compromised performance.<br /><br />Minn Kota came out with a new model this year in with 80# which seems to fit a nice nitch for those bigger boats.<br /><br />I don't think you would be disappointed in the MK Riptide series.

FINANDPRAYER

Cadet

I'm still not convinced. Maybe I'm hard-headed...<br /><br />I mean you don't see salt water outboards, they can all take salt or fresh. And the water actually runs through the motor! They just need flushing after. I just can't see $200 or more for a few aluminum parts and special paint and a sac anode.<br /><br />So they are adjustable, excellent that solves one issue.<br /><br />I don't need anything stronger than a 55 lb probably...14' fiberglass fishing boat with about 15 to 20 inches of freeboard. It might weigh 1k lbs fully loaded.<br /><br />More input please.<br />Thanks.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK 14 foot boat,<br /><br />You can probably use the shorter of the 2 standard lengths.<br /><br />You probably just want one battery. So the 55's a good choice (or the 65?). Just stick to a 12 volt system unless you're going far............<br /><br />Several others have posted "What if I clean it off after each salt water trip". That's an alternative, I guess. My Riptide had some kind ov vents up top, maybe to cool the motor or circuts or whatever, but water did get inside there a couple of times, from waves/spray. So I believe it's the insides of the thing you should be worried about, not just the paint. Think they tell you to tip it upside down or something to make sure there's no water in there..............

FINANDPRAYER

Cadet

Battery wise. I was going to use 2 batteries @12v to get more amps and a longer run time. Series or parallel, I can't remember what to call it, but I know how to hook it up.<br /><br />I guess my thinking is that it does not matter what kind of water gets into the motor, none of it can be good for it. Let's face it, most "fresh" water is pretty dirty. Salt water just happens to be extra corrosive.<br /><br />Any thoughts on using the different anodes?<br /><br />I am cheap, but I don't want to be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Iceking

Seaman

What battery type is preferred/recommended for a 24v Minn Kota Riptide 80 setup? Flooded or AGM type?

PAkev

The wet cell 24V set up works well on my 74# MK Riptide. The AGM alternative will run you some extra $$$ and from my understanding may not be compatible with all chargers.

Richard Petersen

Nautilus, deep cycle, size 27, cost is $59.00 Sold in every big chain store.