Couple of quick questions

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks. Couple of quick questions that I've searched for the answer, however, haven't come to any conclusion and hoping that someone more experienced can help:<br /><br />My tach is toast on my 1985 Capri with the 125hp force. I've read about the tiny tach, however, I'd like to place something back in the dash like I currently have. <br /><br />Questions on the tach replacement:<br /><br />1) Is the OEM tach 3" in diameter? Also, I'm assuming that I need to have a tach that will do 20 pole, correct? Any suggestions on what I can replace the stock one with? Any URL's/pricing info would be great.<br /><br />Decarb process:<br /><br />I want to take the boat out on the river this upcoming Saturday and bought some fuel stabilizer and also some of that power tune stuff. <br /><br />Quick questions:<br /><br />1) Is it ok before I go on my trip to put the outboard on the muffs and run the power tune through the carbs or should I wait to be in the water for that?<br /><br />2) Do I empty the whole can through both carbs?<br /><br />Prop:<br /><br />My current prop looks like it's been to hell and back literally so I'd like to replace it. I called Bayliner and asked what the OEM prop was and they said it was a 13x19 Right hand. I was thinking of getting a nice 13x17 prop. Any comments? Since my tach isn't working, the only thing I can say is that I'm only getting approx 30mph on my gps and think that possibly it's over prop'd (if that's possible?)<br /><br />Any information would be great.<br /><br />Thank you and have a great evening,<br /> Tim

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Couple of quick questions

Sorry, can't help on the tach.<br /><br />If you can get your waterpump to pump, while on the muffs, go ahead. Many Force owners have problems getting them to work. I bought a 100 gallon cattle tank for mine.<br /><br />You spritz the decarb into the carbs, trying not to kill the engine, maybe 45 seconds. Then remove sparkplugs and spray the rest directly into the cylinders.<br /><br />Search "decarb process", in the last week. I posted it a few times, it walks you thru it.<br /><br />I'd say your prop selection should be ok, but the difinitive answer lies in the rpm.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

The prop issue must be addressed after you get a working tach.<br /><br />Your instrument most likely is 3", but you are the the closest to check this out ;) <br />You should be able to get a tach from Mercury since they did the Force products. Still, a number of aftermarket products will work as well. May take an xtra wire or maybe only use part of the original harness, though.<br /><br />Look here on iboats Mega Mall or check www.cabelas.com, search for 'tach' <br /><br />Not until you know your rpm will you be able to decide on a new prop's specs.

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

roscoe/UU,<br /> Thanks for the info. I ended up running some of that powertune on it today and boy did it smoke. <br /><br /> The only thing that concerned me is that @ idle the rpms were way up there and it seemed to want to go higher and higher and I had to shut it off. Is that normal after running power tune through the carbs?<br /><br /> I'm still stuck with no tach, however, I have one on the way now from Teleflex so I'll soon know what the rpms are at.<br /><br /> How can I adjust the idle easily on this engine with these two carbs? Any info would be great.<br /><br />Thanks for all your help!<br />Tim