couple of questions

jrc27

Seaman
had 1st night tournament last night. end of night, go to start engine and nothing. dead battery.. battery is at least 4 years old, i've had boat a couple of months.. should i upgrade and get a bigger cranking battery(will this let me fish longer with lights, livewells and fishfinders?) what size is recomended? <br /><br />also there is all kinds of little white specs laying around in the bottom of the rear battery storage and under the seats on the lower hull. are these some kind of mould or eggs? any ideas<br /><br />thanks

beckerdg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: couple of questions

Certainly a new larger cranking battery will help, or one of the large dual purpose would be better. Best would be to put a second deep cycle battery in for lights, trolling with an isolator/combiner that lets it charge off your main system.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: couple of questions

Four years is about the useful life of a battery. The white specks are probably corrosion flakes from the battery terminals. Under the conditions you've mentioned, I believe I'd want a seperate deep cycle battery to run everything but the starting and a seperarate starting battery for that. If the deep cycle runs down, you can then always start your motor to charge it up.