Couple of questions regarding Force 125 1989. General and ignition.

I have a Force 125 attached to a 89 Bayliner Capri 1902 cuddy. (19ft)

Does anyone have a similar setup? What top speed are you reaching?

Also, does anyone have timing specs? I had the timing light on the engine last night after installing a new piston, and with the light at 0 deg, it looked as if the mark on the flywheel was about 4 degree's advanced at idle.

I looked through the Seloc manual, but couldnt find timing specs unless I just missed them.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Couple of questions regarding Force 125 1989. General and ignition.

I have the exact same rig.
With 2 adults, cooler, full gas tank, simi-smooth surface:

33-35mph (GPS) WOT @ 5500 RPM w/ 15 prop

Not sure of timing right now but others will chime in.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Manual says 32 degrees TDC at WOT, but I have heard to retard to 28 Degrees. mine is set at 28 at WOT running great for 3 years since I rebuilt :)

mine is a 89 125 on a 19 bayliner open bow, I can hit 43 (GPS) if I am alone and going downhill :)

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW Page 3-21 in the Seloc has the timing specs
Timing is set at Max Throttle
28 degrees static

make sure to ground your plug wires

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Force lowered the timing to 28 degrees due to concerns of people running inferior or contaminated fuel often obtained at marine fuel docks as well as people running an out-of-tune engine @ WOT as a precaution against possible engine damage. If running a good high quality fuel obtained thru suppliers for the automotive industry and you keep your engine in good tune, 32 degrees maxium at full advance is fine. To be sure of correct timing you need to test with the cowling off, the boat on the water @ WOT, timing @ full advance.
Warning...always use extreme caution whenever working on the engine with the motor running and the engine cowling off. There is a very high risk of being injured should one come into contact with the flywheel while it is spinning.

excellent, will have to check it out tomorrow!

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

Warning...always use extreme caution whenever working on the engine with the motor running and the engine cowling off. There is a very high risk of being injured should one come into contact with the flywheel while it is spinning.

That is the truth!! My friend and I were out fishing and my 1960 18 hp johnson would start easier without the cowling on. Well the beer he had been drinking didn't help as he chewed his forearm up BAD when the motor started. He had lost his balance and fell right on top of it. I guess it could have been worse. He could've fell face first!

cordell