couple of questions- OMC 2.3L cobra

dragginanchor

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all-

Got a '89 Bayliner 1750 (17' bowrider) with a OMC 2.3L I/O A week ago. Only had it out a few times, time and weather permitting. Good times :)

Anyway, what is the correct engine temperature? It only gets up to 170 F no matter how far or fast you go. Bad thermostat?

Also, the prop is somewhat chewed up on the leading edges and I would like to get a better one and use the old one as a spare. What would be the best one for it considering--

42 MPH GPS, about 5400 RPM WOT, (WOT range 5200-5600, 2:1 drive)

Not intending to pull skiers, (but possible very rarely) just general cruising and some fishing lightly loaded mostly.

It looks like the factory prop on there and it gets on plane fine and moves right along at about 5000 RPM with the trim down. Trim it up and get the RPM to about 5400 and its about the limit. It starts to cavitate or porpose after that except on very smooth water..

Of course a new prop would be be better than a old dinged up one, but what would be the best for my old bayliner?

Thanks-
Dragginanchor

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: couple of questions- OMC 2.3L cobra

Anyway, what is the correct engine temperature? It only gets up to 170 F no matter how far or fast you go. Bad thermostat?

Also, the prop is somewhat chewed up on the leading edges and I would like to get a better one and use the old one as a spare. What would be the best one for it considering--

42 MPH GPS, about 5400 RPM WOT, (WOT range 5200-5600, 2:1 drive)

Howdy,

If the engine is turning the correct RPM at WOT, you have the right pitch prop on it. (5200-5600 RPM? .... seems high.....)

170 degrees sounds close to right. That engine should have a 140 degree t-stat in it I think. 160 running hard wouldn't be out of question.

you should determine if your temp gage is right before you start changing things.

If the engine, manifold and riser is clogged with rust it will also run progressively hotter.

If you cannot determine when(or if) the raw water pump was changed in the last couple of years, you should probably change it.

Regards,

Rick

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

"If you cannot determine when(or if) the raw water pump was changed in the last couple of years, you should probably change it."

Might as well.. Pretty easy to do

BTW that RPM seems fast to me as well.. My engine will run 5500 too but I never go there.. I am going to re prop.. The previous owner of my boat skied alot and hauled a full boat most of the time.. I seldom carry more than myself the little lady and one of the hounds..

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

That 2.3 engine is spec'd to run 5200-5600 RPM

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

That 2.3 engine is spec'd to run 5200-5600 RPM

If that's true. Don't change the prop.(pitch) you could put a stainless steel pro on it though.

You should also probably change the drive oil, check the U-joints, bellows, gimbal bearing, and alignment etc...... Those are "once yearly" things that most do as part of winterization. Follow the OMC service manual exactly when you refill with oil.

dragginanchor

Seaman Apprentice

Hey thanks guys-

Good to hear that the temperature is ok.
And yes I was planning on doing all of the maintenance/winterizing before the end of October. Don't know how many more times I'll get to take it out before it starts freezing overnight..

About the prop, I figured it was the right pitch and size, but am looking for the best brand/style for that size boat and engine. BTW the boat weighs 1750 Lbs. empty. Any suggestions?

Dragginanchor

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

For a prop that is not expensive the Solas Amita Aluminum has good lift and performance. I boats had some great prices on them.I got mine for 86 bucks and free shipping..
It feels like it out performs my original Stainless steel prop.

The impeller change on the Cobra is super easy...about a 20 minute job and Napa sells the kit as well as here on Iboats.

http://www.iboats.com/Impeller-Kit-Sierra/dm/*******.501895457--**********.503100391--view_id.485691

This is a 19 pitch so you may want to verify what pitch you have..they went up a little but still a great price,

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/OM.../6326/?**********=503100391&*******=501895457

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

For a prop that is not expensive the Solas Amita Aluminum has good lift and performance. I boats had some great prices on them.I got mine for 86 bucks and free shipping..
It feels like it out performs my original Stainless steel prop.

The impeller change on the Cobra is super easy...about a 20 minute job and Napa sells the kit as well as here on Iboats.

http://www.iboats.com/Impeller-Kit-Sierra/dm/*******.501895457--**********.503100391--view_id.485691

This is a 19 pitch so you may want to verify what pitch you have..they went up a little but still a great price,

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/OM.../6326/?**********=503100391&*******=501895457

Yep that's a good po boy prop... I had good luck with mine.. Made all the difference when i replaced the ol ragged out one

dragginanchor

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys-

Btw the current prop is a 14x19R OMC part #176215. Think I'll make a new post about the prop replacement, its hard to find a 14x19...

Dragginanchor..

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Thanks for the info guys-

Btw the current prop is a 14x19R OMC part #176215. Think I'll make a new post about the prop replacement, its hard to find a 14x19...

Dragginanchor..

Sounds original....Always check E bay...See em used and stainless on there for $25-$50 bucks sometimes

TLL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

"The impeller change on the Cobra is super easy...about a 20 minute job and Napa sells the kit as well as here on Iboats."

The above is the wrong water pump kit. 2.3 liter engines have a special "thinner" water pump assembly to prevent overcooling. I think it is only available from BRP dealers.

Ooops! Sorry for that info....forgot about the 2.3...:redface:

As far as the prop a little less diameter is not a really big deal as much as pitch.
That Solas should work fine.