Couple of johnson questions

jrc27

Seaman
i have a 1989 johnson 150 gt. <br />#1 why would my motor want to lift out of water in reverse?<br /><br />#2 lower unit.. i seem to have to change oil every 2-3 times out due to water.. also have some metal flakes each time..<br /><br />#3 lately i've noticed a drop in speed 5-10 mph. yesterday noticed a bit of a surge at wot a few times, but went away.. also at one point tried to take off, but wouldn't kick in enough to plane.. eventually went back to normal..<br /><br />motor was decarbed less than 40 hrs ago, plugs new(2nd time out) <br /><br />i would like to trouble shoot myself as much as possible.. no manual.. any help appreciated!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Couple of johnson questions

First thing you need to due is get a Manual and drop the lower unit and find out what's going on with it. Something is definetly wrong in there. Could be contributing to your running problems..

M. Bates

Recruit
Re: Couple of johnson questions

Check your gearcase out. If your getting water in it you probably have bad seals. If your ran across some fishing line it will get behind your prop and eat out the seals there. Some powdery metal on your magnetic drain screw would be normal, flakes or chunks would not be.<br /><br />Assuming that your motor has trim/tilt, if the motor is coming out in reverse a valve in the trim system might be the problem, check the trim fluid level.