Couple freeze to death

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
A couple close to here froze to death when lost in a blizzard recently. <br />Check out the audio links here to listen to their 911 calls. <br />Hear anything that indicates they may be high at the time?<br />Back in November we found a couple that were running from unknown people trying to kill them or something. They were also high, and suffered severe frostbite.<br />Sad but self inflicted.<br /><br /> news release

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Couple freeze to death

"Hornickel was found wearing high-heeled boots, blue jeans and a hooded T-shirt. Wamsley was wearing blue jeans and a hooded sweat shirt. Temperatures that night dropped to 4 degrees below zero. "<br /><br />Perfect clothing for 4 below. Why do you think they call it dope?<br /><br />Ken

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sad but perhaps natural selection taking place.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sad story, before I read the post I thought they went to see a movie at the drive in entitled, <br /><br />"CLOSED FOR THE SEASON"

LubeDude

Admiral

Here is a sad story that was just plain stupid!<br /><br />A few years back, here in the Pacific Northwest somewhere, a guy drove his pickup and camper up a logging road and got stuck in the snow, he ate all his food that he had, kept a diary of every day telling his family how much he loved and missed them and how he hoped to be found befor he died. These were not blizard conditions, he was just stuck. They found him starved to death in a few weeks after he was reported missing.<br /><br /> "HE WAS JUST A COUPLE MILES FROM PAVEMENT AND COULD HAVE WALKED OUT IN ABOUT AN HOUR"!!!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by SlowlySinking:<br /> Sad story, before I read the post I thought they went to see a movie at the drive in entitled, <br /><br />"CLOSED FOR THE SEASON"
1396.gif
<br /> Closed for the Season....Man that one rocked in the 60's. Maybe thats how I got the name "Daddy"!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Saying they were only steps ahead of rescue is an understatement. They were running from the imaginary things chasing them making it impossible to find them. One deputy found tracks and followed them into the blizzard until he lost the tracks. He searched but could not find them. The audio of their calls is just amazing. People driving in the tree tops chasing them and everything.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

GPS cell phone are here, the E911 system is close behind, when u get a new phone, make that one feature u get, and enable it.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Just got the updated software for our phones today, and I didn't think it was all that important. I will take care of this right now. I feel for the families of these two youths.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Can the phone companies not locate you in the US by triangulating your signal? They've been doing it in the UK for a few years to locate missing persons.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How did they call different 911's from the same place?<br />Was they just calling the different departments regular lines and they are calling them 911 calls?<br />Here when you dial 911, you get one 911 service.<br />If you go into another 911 area, you get that one.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Cell phones here do that. You hit the closest tower and each tower is programmed to a certain area 911. <br />Federal guidlines (phase 2 911) for cell phones say that by this year all cell phones must have GPS tracking. if you dial 911 it activates the GPS which stays active until you turn it off. Not here yet, too expensive to change the phone systems emergency dispatchers use.<br />Triangulation works here too, but the cell companies take hours to get us this informnation. <br />They were moving too much for this too. rescuers were in the area right behind them and tracked them into the blizzard, but they kept moving making it impossible to keep track of.