Coupla Newbie Questions

vanashke001

Cadet
HI! Lovin this forum thus far, I boo-booed and asked a question once on someone else's thread and figured I'd wait til I have a true question of my own. I finally have one, so away we go!
I have a 19' Bayliner open bow Capri. It's a bit of a mongrel. It was originally a 3.0 but the previous owner upgraded to an OMC based on the GM I6 250ci 165HP and the Cobra outdrive. The fellow who did it elected to run the exhaust straight out the hull instead of through the prop. Will this be an issue, do I need to redirect it to the proper exit in the drive?
Also, since it is a mongrel and is not the original motor, do I need to change the RPM gauge? I keep thinking that the system takes the reading from either the distributor or the crank and a revolution is a revolution but I'm not positive on that. Also, if the tach is good, what would be considered red-line?
I'm having some linkage issues with the drive but that's a question for another day. I've been lurking for a little while and have downloaded a ton of the information made available here. Thank you all for making that possible.

NeedaBiggerBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Coupla Newbie Questions

The RPM gauge from what I have experienced has a dial on the back for setting it to either a 4 6 or 8 cylinder. I don't think that the exhaust going through the hull will hurt anything other than make it noisier but maybe someone else cant factually answer that question for you than knows for sure. I am pretty much a newb too and not really familiar with that engine so I cannot answer your other questions. Good luck with your project.