County Sewer Dept Rant

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I have been living in this house for about 5 years now. During the first 3 years I had my Daughter/Son and their family living here. My sewer bill ranged from 35 to 40 bucks. <br /><br />The sewer dept would send a guy out to read the meter. From about 3 years ago they quit reading the meter and just estimate it. Now it is just my wife and I. So I know my usage is down.<br /><br />Called them about the problem. They said they had sent out a letter that the meters were changed with a remote sending unit that the meter reader can read from the road without getting out of his truck/car. They did this 3 years ago! I never got a notice about this change over to the new style meter.<br /><br />Long story short, they should owe me a balance of about 720 bucks! They won't refund the money, nor will they put it towards the assement for the sewer. What really makes me mad is that they want 850 to put the new meter in.<br /><br />I checked with my neighbors and their bill ranges from 5 to 10 a month for a single person to 15 to 20 for a family of 4! My bill is 45 to 55 a month!<br /><br />I'm doing my best to be thorn in their butt over this, but I seem to be getting nowhere. <br /><br />Any ideas?

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: County Sewer Dept Rant

City council. I used to work for the water company years ago and the sewer bill was based on water usage. The city actually got the money for the sewer, not us, but if there was a grievance, then it was directed towards the city.<br /><br />Sounds like your company isn't owned by the city, however they will either be able to get involved or direct you to the correct agency needed to resolve the dispute.<br /><br />Check your phone book. Most likely there is a number there along with your local utilities in the front of the book with who has regulatory control over them. Ours is the Public Service Commission.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

They are charging your sewer rate based on your water usage. Do you have a water leak? Do you water your lawn a lot?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

gspig, back when I first got my boat, I used a lot of water. But for the last two years, I just wash the boat at the end of the season and the beginning of the season. I don't water the lawn and no there isn't a leak or my water pump would run frequently.<br /><br />The actual meter reading is 6 times less than what their records show. My drop in usage is due to going from 10 people in the house and water for the boat. (Boat went through a serious gel coat cleaning as well as the inside). <br /><br />During the high usage is what they based my monthly usage on. Now that it has dropped way below their estimate. I'm overpaying them probably about 30 a month.<br /><br />The sewer is owned/operated by the county.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

You are on your own well and they charge you for sewer service? I never before heard of a sewer meter. Do you have a meter on your well?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yes, there is a meter on my well. Water usage equals sewer usage.

aspeck

Staff member

If all else fails, BOMB 'EM! :p :D <br /><br />Seriously, if the sewer authority won't do anything about it, go to the city council. I had a different problem with the same results - council stepped in and really came to bat for me. Good luck!

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just don't pay your bill until it gets to $720. :) <br />I wonder how long they would put up with that.<br />Stay on them. At some point someone with the proper authority(or common sense) should be able to take care of it.