Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Okay, let's hear your stories. I have a couple to start out with. 🤪

Last fall, I had a chance to buy a 1983 Sea Nymph SS 175 aluminum boat with trailer for $700. The 17' hull was in good shape, as was the deck. No motor, but the steering and throttle systems were in place. The galvanized trailer was in very good shape. I drove 40 miles over to the seller, which turned out to be a recycle yard. I checked everything out and talked with the owner, got the price down from $900 to $700 and he irritably said "take it." I let them know that I needed to go pick up the cash and headed for the bank. But, the thing is, everyone there was very grumpy. I mean seriously. The employees nearly looked afraid and I just had a "bad feeling" about it and changed my mind as I was en route to the bank. It was like my "spidey sense" was tingling. 😬🕷️ I let the seller know that I changed my mind and drove for home. A few minutes later I got a "ding" on FB which said the item was sold. I felt relieved but a little weird. The next day, I very much regretted not buying the deal. ☹️

Coulda; I had the cash available.
Woulda; except for the grumpy people.
Shoulda; it was a screaming good deal and I keep checking every day for an equivalent. 😫

And about a week ago I missed out on another screaming good deal. It was a 1990 Ford Camper Van for just $600! I saw the ad just 12 minutes after it was posted on FB Marketplace about 75 miles from home. The pix showed it to be in good shape both inside and out. It just needed a good pressure washing. I figured that it must be a scam, so I started researching the seller and whatnot. A few minutes later, I went back to the ad and it was marked SOLD! Missed out on another great deal!

Coulda; I had cash and time, but no 2nd driver.
Woulda; if I'd moved faster!
Shoulda; yeah, even my wife was disappointed that we missed out! 😵

So let's hear your stories. 😉

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Missed a 1972 Ford bronco about 25-30 years ago that was stroked 302(347) with a 4 speed and a fiberglass body. As I pulled up, new buyer was peeling off a stack of Benjamin's into the sellers hand

briangcc

Commander
Several years back I had just purchased my 78 Trans Am (wreck of a car that needed literally everything) and pulling into Spring Carlisle saw a 1980 Firebird, complete for $300. Owner drove it there. I passed. I kick myself daily on that one.

Recently we were in the market for a 75 gallon aquarium and one popped up on Marketplace for $80 with stand, like new. I hesitated and by the time we said we'd take it someone else stepped to the plate and bought it.

**I still ended up with a 75 gallon tank as Petco had their inventory reduction running (1/2 off) and they also had a deal on the stand.

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2008 ish Donzi 18ft Classis with a Scorpion Engine package. Looked at it back about 2014-2015. Very Good Condition Couldn't bring myself to buy it at 25.5K which was down some from where he started. Seemed like at lot at the time.

Didn't have a great place to store at time. It was so nice leaving it covered outside would not have been what I felt it deserved. Since that time these have dried up and gone up when you find them. Got to go for a test run/ride in it. Really love how they look sitting and running.

dwco5051

Commander
Built a garage 35 years ago and went with 9' doors just in case. The first time I backed the Ebbtide in busted off the stern light. When I finally got a hanger for my plane about the same year first time I pushed the plane in broke the fiberglass housing for the beacon on the vertical stabilizer. The previous renter had a Beech Bonanza Vee tail. I never thought to look up. Last year put a bimini top on by fishing boat. This shop next to my house also 9' doors. Door no problem, the rod racks that hang down from the rafters only clear now by about an half an inch. Got lucky for a change.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Eons ago a bunch of people approached the town that had a park on the Erie Canal. They wanted to build boathouses at their expense (on city property). The city agreed to a 99 year lease and several houses were built. I was a little kid at the time.

Fast forward and the new mayor decided she wanted the houses to be torn down to give full water access to all the citizens. It got stalled in court. The possible outcome would be that the city would win and the boathouse owners would have to tear down the houses at their own expense.

That summer a house came on the market. It was in immaculate condition and the sale included a 20+ year old Chris Craft Express cruiser that had lived its whole life in the house. The price for both was $2500. The cost to tear down the house (by a contractor - I didn't have the means) would have been thousands.

The wife said no. Too much danger. I watched the proceeding events.

It got sold. The Chris was awesome. It got sold for $2500. In other words, the house was free. The taxes (99 year lease) was $100 per year. The town lost the court case, but they did get the taxes increased to $500 per year.

It's now 30+ years later. The house still stands and its one of the best on the canal. It recently sold for $150,000.

Coulda - yeah it would have been a stretch.
Woulda - yeah if the wife would have been on board
Shoulda - yeah, worst decision of my life.

Although.....the money was spent on a mountain cabin, which is also worth $150,000 today, and that along with our trailer boat gives us year round activities.

aspeck

Staff member
35 years ago I was looking for mountain ground to use for hunting. A realtor friend showed me 175 acres that was in the shape of a triangle with the longest side bordering State Game Lands (about 2000 acres). A little less than $45K was going to buy it all. I told my friend to put in an offer of $30K. The owners came back and said they would accept my offer, but only if I used their Realtor only. My friend gave me the other Realtor’s number and said “go for it. I would not on principle. The property was on a multi-list and they had no right to cut the other realtor out of the process. I stuck to my principles and then every time land came available it was weighed against what “I coulda had.” Never did buy any mountain ground. Been kicking myself ever since.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
During the gas “shortage” of 1973/74 I saw a 1967 Corvette convertible with a 427, 3 deuces & outside exhausts. $2500 at the local Chevy dealer. Told my dad to buy it. He had no interest in cars and I was a 19 year old kid with no money.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
35 years ago I was looking for mountain ground to use for hunting. A realtor friend showed me 175 acres that was in the shape of a triangle with the longest side bordering State Game Lands (about 2000 acres). A little less than $45K was going to buy it all. I told my friend to put in an offer of $30K. The owners came back and said they would accept my offer, but only if I used their Realtor only. My friend gave me the other Realtor’s number and said “go for it. I would not on principle. The property was on a multi-list and they had no right to cut the other realtor out of the process. I stuck to my principles and then every time land came available it was weighed against what “I coulda had.” Never did buy any mountain ground. Been kicking myself ever since.
Yeah, taking the high road is often expensive. :sneaky:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
During the gas “shortage” of 1973/74 I saw a 1967 Corvette convertible with a 427, 3 deuces & outside exhausts. $2500 at the local Chevy dealer. Told my dad to buy it. He had no interest in cars and I was a 19 year old kid with no money.
I had a similar situation when I was stationed in Denver in 1979 during the second Gas Crisis. I was riding along a mountain road, enjoying the view, when I happened upon a small town with a little car dealership. I stopped when I saw a genuine Shelby Cobra sitting out front! (The AC version, not the Mustang type.)

I talked with the dealer and the price was "only" $10,000. Such a bargain! But it might as well have been all the money in the whole world for me. As a two-stripe Airman, it was completely out of reach.

Not really a coulda, woulda, shoulda event. More like an unfulfilled dream. :(

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
On the other hand the house I bought in 1992 in a beach front community here in Long Island NY for $205,000; is now with about $650,000. I had to be patient & wait about 18 months because it was an estate sale but it was a great chance to own a unique water view property in a private beach community. I have kept the boat in the harbor behind our house for 20 years. No hassles trailering and it’s safe even with in storms due to how the harbor is configured. Yearly beach & mooring costs are about $450. So on that one, the shoulda was a DONE!