Could someone please explain this to me?

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've heard a few folks say that they "trim" their boat (I'm talking outboard specifically) while going across the water.<br /><br />Since I'm a fairly new boater (to small boats anyway), does this mean that the boat owner uses the tilt mechanism to raise/lower the actually outboard/prop to get a better ride and/or for more speed? Is that what is mean by "trimming"?<br /><br />Sorry for such a silly question but thought I'd ask the experts.<br /><br />Thank you,<br /> Tim

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Could someone please explain this to me?

does this mean that the boat owner uses the tilt mechanism to raise/lower the actually outboard/prop to get a better ride and/or for more speed?
Basicly, you've got it!... Trimming changes the attitude of the boat by raising or lowering the bow... Trim up for more top end speed and effenciy moderate at speed..Trim up until the boat gets "loose", is the way I describe it... Trim down to plane off faster or trim down when waters rough to make the boat's V hull slice thru waves..<br /><br />Kind of a "drive by seat of the pants" deal.. Takes a while to get a feel for it..

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Could someone please explain this to me?

Trimming is accomplished by utilizing the power trim and tilt if installed. By trimming the motor in/down can get quicker planing(with heavy load or a stearn heavy boat), get better ride in choppy water but it also can increase steering torque(pulls to right if using normal right hand rotation prop). It can also if trimmed to far in drop/lower the bow on some boats and plow the water with the bown which can cause bow steering or oversteer if a turn is tried or a large wave comes along.<br /> The opposite is trim out/up. This helps top end speed, clearance over bottom/objects, increase torque pull to left, can create porpoising(boat bounce) and if water intake holes get above the water line cause over heating.<br /> If your motor does not have the power trim and tilt function then you must preset the trim stop pins of the motor to get the best operating range. <br /> Hope this helps a little.