Cotter pins

dolsen

Seaman Apprentice
Me and cotter pins have never gotten along as long as i can remember. I was wondering if anyone had tips or special techniques for prompt R&R of prop cotter pins. I just seem to make the castle nut extra shiny every time i take prop on and off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. <br /><br />16 ft north river revenge<br />40 hp honda

ob

Admiral
Re: Cotter pins

The trick is to not reuse them again and again.When removing insure that both tines are pinched together as tight and straight as you can get them.Bird nose pliers or small sharp nose vise grips work well,depending on grip strength ;) <br />When installing new make straight 90 degree bends to facilitate easy straightening and removal when servicing prop and prop shaft.<br /> Oh and insure the ones you are using are of proper size and will slide in and out of propshaft hole.Be sure and replace with stainless pins.

Trent

Captain

I preferr using a sharp pair of "side cutter pliers" I use them to straighten out the end of the pin and then use them to pull them out. NEVER reuse...Cotter pins, saftey wire, or star type lock washers!! In my business its a NO NO!!

Walker

Captain

I don't spread my cotter pins. I bend both legs to the rear of the prop.