Cost to bore one cylinder

bigshrimpin

Seaman
I have a merc 150 XR2 2.0L engine with one bad cylinder. Compression in #3 tests out at 60psi. I took the head off and there is very slight rust on one end of the hole. I can't see it easily, but you can feel it when you run your fingers accross the surface of the cylinder wall. <br /><br />What should I expect to pay for a machine shop to bore/hone the #3 cylinder? (assuming that I dropped off just the block at a machine shop)

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Cost to bore one cylinder

I would say between $20.00 - $50.00 a hole, depending on the machine shop. But I would have all the cylinders and pistons checked because you have to pull it apart anyway.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

my experince with motors that have had a one hole patch is not good. but if everything is inside the service spec and you put everything back in the same place it may work. check all the oil lines and the oil pump drive shaft very carefully. if the drive shaft has rust or pits replace it and the drive gear.

bigshrimpin

Seaman

Guys - Thanks for the response!! <br />------------------------------------------<br />Rodbolt- Based on your experience what happens to the one hole fix motors?<br /> <br />Is there a reason that one .015 oversized piston and 5 normal pistons is a bad thing? <br /><br />Oil injection will go bu-bye . . . If I can get the motor back together (and have something reliable) for around $500 - $600 in parts then it's worth it :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

usually its due to a worn part breaking or the parts got scambled or dirt,sand or debris from improper cleaning.<br /> the .015 piston will be fine. make sure you use an outboard machine shop. most auto machine shops mess up.<br /> have them finnish hone the bore/wall clearence to the avereage bore/wall size of the other 5 not the new bore size.<br /> the pistons from merc are about 130 a piece. dont mix and match piston weights. dont reuse rodbolts, replace the bottom bearing. the rest can be reused if not damaged. but its imperative to remove them all, including the wristpin bearings and clean everything. dont reuse piston pin circlips. the whole key to maaking it live is cleanliness. if its just rust and not scored you may be able to have it honed. DO NOT BALL HONE IT. use a rigid hone. a ball hone tends to mess up the radius on the ports. best is to carefully clean and inspect everything after dissasembly to determine what is the next step. use the factory shop manual not the aftermarket one, its easier to read. I patched my 85 120 jonnyrude for a friend in 95 after a reed screw went through number 3 cyl. I bought it from him in 2000. its sitting in the water this morning ready to go fish still :) .<br />it can be done you just have to understand what each part does and what corners can be cut and what ones cannot.