Cost of adding electric brakes to single axle trailer

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am considering adding electric brakes to my single axle trailer. What do I need and the approximate cost of the all materials, including controller. Thanks guys. Your help is always appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cost of adding electric brakes to single axle trailer

You need a pair of electric brake hubs, the brake assemblies, wire, and the controller for the tow vehicle. Depending on state laws, you may also need a break-away device which includes a small battery and a break-away switch. This device activates the trailer brakes should the trailer become separated from the tow vehicle. The key to all of this is whether or not the current axle has the square brake mounting plate installed behind the wheel. Without this plate you cannot install brakes (hydraulic or electric) because that plate with the four holes is what the brake assemblies bolt to. Cost depends on what kind of shopper you are but generally the hubs are about $100 for the pair. Brake assemblies about $100 for the pair and the controller will be whatever you like in the form of features. Figure another $50 - $100. I haven't priced a break-away kit for some time but one could assume about $75 or so. Again, check your axle first for the brake mounting plate.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

Besides all of what Silvertip said is your vehicle pre-wired for a brake controller? If not and you can't do it yourself the places around here charge a lot to run all the wires for it. My neighbor paid about $350 for a hitch place to wire it up.

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am considering adding electric brakes to my single axle trailer. What do I need and the approximate cost of the all materials, including controller. Thanks guys. Your help is always appreciated.

plztellme,

I went through this about 3 years ago and I believe I was around $350 - 400. I already had my truck wired up, but I did need to add jumper wires to wire the controller into my truck. This price also included a breakaway set and double insulated 10 ga. wiring.

Recommend Tekonsa (SP?) prodigy P2 and dexter never adjust brakes.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class

What Silvertip said, but I think the backings and hubs are maybe $150. You can price the individual items on e-trailer.com.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

See ChampionTrailers.com for all the parts.

I'd suggest doing surge brakes over electrics on a boat with one axle. They're just easier to deal with in a marine environment. Electrics are preferable on really heavy boats, but light boats do fine with surge brakes.

alldodge

Staff member

The smallest axle kit is for a 3500 pound axle, with that the below prices will vary with other sites and with other manufacturers. I like Dexter for the quality so most of my list leans to that. Also I went to etrailer because I can find their parts easier not that I recommended either way

3500 lb brakes, Dexter never-adjust 100 for the pair
Dexter 3500 lbs Axle Never Adjust Trailer Brakes | etrailer.com

Brake drums 50 - 80
etrailer.com - Products 10 inch drums

Brake controller 100 - 150
etrailer.com - Products brake controller

Connectors and wire another 55
Wiring Kit for 2 and 4 Brake Electric Brake Controllers Draw-Tite Accessories and Parts 5505
7-Way Molded Trailer Wire Connector, 3' Long Hopkins Wiring H20042

Breakaway kit 50 - 80
etrailer.com - Products brake away kit