Cost for Trim and Tilt for 87' 40HP

bbach

Seaman Apprentice
My brother-in-law's trim and tilt is not working on an '87 40hp. Dealer is quoting $1200 to replace. Seems expensive to me. Is this a reasonable price? I have to be honest, I don't really know what the symtoms are but is there any simple stuff to check before speading the $$$. Anything like a rebuilt unit that would be less expensive? Thanks. -- Bud

jay dezman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Cost for Trim and Tilt for 87' 40HP

i'm no pro at this, but it would seem that you (he) need to determine whether the problem is electrical or mechanical - are the solenoids working, the switch, is there power to the pump, etc. will the pump work when "hard wired" to a power source. (is there oil in the pump?)<br /><br />once the true culprit is determined, then go to ebay - its a wonderful thing....

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

I have a little more info. Motor does run. T&T works sort of OK on land however, my BIL says that he can grab the motor and stop it from tilting up. He also says it doesn't trim down when under load which seems odd. Finally, he claims the shop bled the hydraulics and that there is no apparent leak.<br /><br />Bad motor? Can that be replaced separately?<br /><br /><br />Thanks. -- Bud

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dont forget about the aftermarket tilt and trim units. For about 400 bucks you can get a CMC unit which I have and it is a very quality piece. It also gives you some setback on the engine which can be beneficial.