Corrosion issues on lower unit

Angboater

Cadet
Just entered the "wonderful world of boating" this year, and want to first off thank those that are active and answering questions on this forum, which really is a gold mine for anyone interested in boats.

Now to the question...
As I am currently underway fixing an issue with the lower unit on my motor (40hp Johnson 1990), I am shocked at the amount of corrosion on a number of the metal parts in the lower gear case.
The previous owner said that the engine was serviced yearly (or so he claimed) and looks to be mainly run in freshwater, but it seems that a number of the parts within the gear case should have been replaced years ago.

Are there any suggestions as to how to "cure" any of the corroding parts using any commercial solutions or grease, or is it just to bite the bullet and purchase new parts?
When I say "corroding" it is not rust, but a lot of chalk buildup as the corrosion is mainly white in color.

To add, parts here in Sweden for boats and motors are WICKED expensive, and cost often twice of what they do or more compared to the USA. Shipping costs importing from the USA are obscene.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Corrosion issues on lower unit

See if you can locate a "sacrificial anode" for your engine that is about the only was to slow down that corrosion. Good luck

Angboater

Cadet
Re: Corrosion issues on lower unit

Ok, thanks.
New anode to purchase, and some fine sandpaper as well...