corrosion help

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice
My Yamaha 175hp appears to have corrosion in the gear that turns the engine. When it is really cold, the engine turns very hard. So hard that i broke my steering cable. can I flush out the grease and treat the corrosion without taking the whole engine a part? what should i do?

James R

Commander
Re: corrosion help

Am I correct in assuming that your problem is with the stearing guide tube that runs through the transom mount. If that is correct then were you able to remove the remains of the stearing cable. If you were able to do that then cleaning out the rust and grease is a messy job but it can be done. Hopefully the tube is still strong.
Here is a way.
Cover any exposed motor and boat surfaces because there is a lot of muck gonna be flying.
Using a brake cleaner fluid break down the old grease and clean it out. Take a look and if there is heavy corosion in the tube use a wood spade bit with an extension rod in an electric drill and carefully work the bore to remove the corosion. Flush out and try the cable end to see if it will move in and out of the bore freely. If you are satisfied use a grease gun to clear the Xerxs fittings and flush again. Use a good rust converter fluid to finish the job. Coat the inside with a good water proof grease and reassemble. Messy but it works.

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice
Re: corrosion help

Thank you, James. Sorry it took me so long to read this and get back to you. I will try this. I appreciate your help. Thanks. -keith