correct props for 570 and DP-A outdrive

lyt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyway, I would assume my WOT is supposed to be 4600 on this engine (89-93) right? .....correct me if I am wrong.

I cannot really get more than 4000-4100 and top out at about 30 knots -- slow but Im ok with it

I have the B4 Aluminum duoprop

Am I losing anything with this prop?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: correct props for 570 and DP-A outdrive

With that engine, you should have a 1.95:1 gear ratio. If you do, and assuming the engine is running ok, drop down to a B3 set

lyt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how much do you suspect I could gain?

Maclin

Admiral

I did some analysis while experimenting with different pitch propsets on my 570/DP, and calculating what the pitch was. The performance I get from my B5 set puts it as a 22-23 pitch. Each step up from B5 to B6 then B7 seemed to be between 1.5-2 in pitch. Working down the line to a B4 then a B3 I think the same step increment would apply, 1.5 to 2 pitch difference.

Putting your numbers in (4100rpm, 1.95 ratio, 21 pitch, 35mph) gives a 16%slip. Seems high but we will use that as a constant and look at what a move down to the B3 will show. We will use 19 as the pitch for the B3.

Using 35mpg, same slip, same ratio, the engine will be at 4500rpm. This seems about right to me for a heavy boat. The condition of your engine relative to beaing able to generate the original horsepower specs is also an important factor.

The 2inch pitch per step in the B3-B4 is not from Volvo but an estimation on my part regarding real performance specs from my experiments, but it is close enough usually to help in this type of comparison.

If your engine is healthy and in a good state of tune then I think you will get about the same top speed but now at the top rpm in your engine's range, and see better acceleration and be able to keep on plane at a slightly lower speed than now.

lyt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

excellent,

yes engine is quite well tuned, mixture smells good.... overall it purrs and not a leak.

specs on the boat are 4440 lbs with 570 and DP-A