Correct prop pitch selection for sea ray 200 bow rider with merc 5.0 mpi-260 hp

pvieira

Recruit
I already have bowrider sea ray 200 year 2002 with mercruiser alpha 1 sterndrive and 5.0 mpi 260 hp.
They have a serious poor boat perfomance.with mercury veneance ss prop 3 blades pitch 19",take a lot of hours,the
boat to plane on the water,loaded with half gas tank and 5 adults and 1 small kid.no towing anybody.if there any solution.??? Boattest.com said that for this boat with standart package ,top end speed is over 51 mph.
Do i have to change propeller for a mercury high five ( 5 blades) ss with same pitch (19)???? im thinking also to add cavitation plate " stingray" for help the boat ,loaded with people and gas,for better plane and do it quickly as you push the throttle. Stern drive is alpha 1,62 gear ratio. Also have to come down in ptch 17"??? always in high five for better results.
Main use of the boat : pull skiers/wakeboarders (tall gays) and also boat ridesfull with gas/food/stuffs party of 6 at least.arround a big lake.Im trying to figure out wich is the right option for boat prop :
a) high five prop pitch 17" plus stingray cavitation plate on stern
b) high five prop pitch 19" plus stingray cavitation plate on stern
c) Only high five prop 17".
d) Only high five prop 19"

I^m trying to get the correct combination between quick/fast reponse to get the boat " out of the hole" faster(quick plane on water)
and lost minimium top end speed ,due to right prop pitch selection, we have to remember this boat has : 3.550 pound dry weigth+37 gallons fuel tank capacity and stuff and party of 6.-
.thank for your advise.

Pablo

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Correct prop pitch selection for sea ray 200 bow rider with merc 5.0 mpi-260 hp

We need the performance numbers your boat produces now.

What is the highest RPM the engine can achieve in the water with a typical load now?

Can it overrev, in other words, can it go past 5000 rpm?

What is the speed at the top RPM's with a typical load now?

I recommend against the stringray type hydrofoil. Tabs work much better at fixing planing and stability issues.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Correct prop pitch selection for sea ray 200 bow rider with merc 5.0 mpi-260 hp

I think we need a wot rpm and gps speed with a light load to evaluate your setups performance.
" Typical load" numbers are too vague to tell anything about the boat/motor health.

Maclin

Admiral

Yes Steelespike, those would be better baseline numbers to start with.

Pablo, we definitely need those numbers to be of any help. Have to have something to establish a baseline.

pvieira

Recruit

Thank you both,supreme mariner and commander for your reply.here is plenty winter season( very cold and freeze sometimes). In a couple of weeks weather should be more warm so i can go to the lake and then i'll be back with those
numbers(wot rpms and gps speed with light load : F.e : 2 adults + half tank of gas.) so we can decide.
This conditions i think can tell us actual status of health, boat and engine.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

http://www.iboats.com/SX-Smart-Tabs...8752087--session_id.290056277--view_id.352488

smart_tab_black_9.jpg

Those tabs are a much better solution than a tail...as to the high five....Lets see... Stilletto bay pro 11 in a 18p should make that combo stand on its tail...:D..