Correct control for 1962-64 Evinrude?

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice
Second post of the day. My 28HP evinrude was very disappointing in its performance pushing my 14 foot Starcraft. With 4 people aboard she would hardly plane. Motor started fine and seemed to run ok and compression is 110 PSI both cylinders. Come to find out, the control isn't the right one. When I put it in forward, the cable does not have quite enough throw to move the neutral lockout lever completely out of the way of the timing plate restrictor so the synchronization with the carb wasn't there. Right now I have adjusted the cable to give me forward and neutral, but there is not enough throw for reverse. The boat now goes like Heck! Anyone know what control should work with this motor. The one I have is a little strange in that the shift lever works backwards so moving it forward gives you reverse. It has two levers with no other knobs or switches and has been painted gray.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Correct control for 1962-64 Evinrude?

Sounds like you have the cables crossed.

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice

The cables cannot be crossed as they have distinctly different ends on them. The control also follows the convention of the throttle lever being longer than the shift lever and the shift lever is on the inside of the throttle lever.

pipestone guy

Seaman Apprentice

Howard,<br />If your 28 is set up the same as my 1959 35hp it almost sounds like you have the shift cable hooked up backwards. Try taking the shift control apart and check which way the gear mechanism goes that moves the cable. It sounds like its hooked up the wrong way. Good luck and if needed I can take pics of my control and email them to you. Terry :)

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Terry;<br />I jsut found out today that I own a 28HP Johnson! The motor, which is GREEN, has a LarkIII Blk and White cowl that says Evinrude, but some guys on the antique OB website said this cowl goes to a 40HP motor, which I know mine is not by serial number. So anyways, the shift mechanism cannot be hooked up backwards and it is not gear driven like some of the controls are. You could exchange the shift and throttle cables, but the amount of throw is exactly the same for both and you would end up with the throttle where the shift is by convention (on the inside) so I know that is not right. I believe that the shift lever on the Johnson is slightly taller than the Evinrude and this is why the Evinrude controller doesn't have nor need as much throw. So I guess I need to find a Johnson control set and cables... does this sound right to you?

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The shift lever is the short one on both control sets the tall one is the gas lever.<br />You can switch the control cables in the box,<br />or take the plastic ends off and switch them at the motor end.<br />corm

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice

Didn't explain that very well, let me try again. The shift lever on my motor is longer than other motors I have seen. Therefore it requires a longer throw to shift it. For example, the 1957-59 35HP Johnson shift lever is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter. I think my control is for an earlier motor.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

I'd either modify the existing shift lever on the motor (drill a hole lower down) or find a shorter replacement. Is it possible your cable is a bit stretched and isn't giving full motion to the controls?

pipestone guy

Seaman Apprentice

Howard. How does the cable connect to the lever? On mine it is a rack/pinion gear. The lever slides the bottom gear piece forward and backward. How does yours mount to the lever?? Might be idea to look for used control? <br /><br />Terry

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Howard, I hope I have this figured out. The lever on the motor itself is a bit too long, throwing the geometry off a bit with your existing cable travel. I don't think his problem is at the control box end.

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice

My control does not use a rack and pinion gear. Rather the cable has a loop on the end of it which fits over a pin sticking out of the bottom of the control. The control shift lever and throttle lever are exactly the same length inside the control from the pivot point down to the pin. At one point I had another control/cable set up that worked fine and this was set up with the rack/pinion mechanism. Unfortunately it was on a shorter boat and the cables were too short to reach the motor on my Starcraft.

jbright73

Recruit

Originally posted by Howard Allen:<br /> Hi Terry;<br />I jsut found out today that I own a 28HP Johnson! The motor, which is GREEN, has a LarkIII Blk and White cowl that says Evinrude, but some guys on the antique OB website said this cowl goes to a 40HP motor, which I know mine is not by serial number. So anyways, the shift mechanism cannot be hooked up backwards and it is not gear driven like some of the controls are. You could exchange the shift and throttle cables, but the amount of throw is exactly the same for both and you would end up with the throttle where the shift is by convention (on the inside) so I know that is not right. I believe that the shift lever on the Johnson is slightly taller than the Evinrude and this is why the Evinrude controller doesn't have nor need as much throw. So I guess I need to find a Johnson control set and cables... does this sound right to you?
Howard,<br />Do you still have that LarkIII engine hood? I have a LarkIII and the hood is kinda ratty. I'd really like to find one in good condition. Might you be willing to sell it?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jon Bright<br />11019 Jordan Road <br />Carmel, IN 46032

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if i remember correctly that vintage used the MORSE 2 handle controllers. do an internet search for morse/teleflex. you may be able to find replacement cables.