core plug install

dvrdwn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anybody have any experience removing and installing a core plug on a small outboard. Mines a 56 7.5 Johnson. They don't look like i expected either. They are like a little slug thats concaved.

jasper60103

Commander
Re: core plug install

Anybody have any experience removing and installing a core plug on a small outboard. Mines a 56 7.5 Johnson. They don't look like i expected either. They are like a little slug thats concaved.

Carefully punch a hole in the center and pry it out. Don't punch it too deep. I've also, used a self tapping screw and pried it out. This video (compliments of BktheKing) should be helpful. It's for a different carb, but shows how to remove and install core plugs...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeN2cd-4MgU

dvrdwn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is for a core plug on the cylinder head but watching the video they look the same. What do you guys think? Are they the same?

jasper60103

Commander

This is for a core plug on the cylinder head but watching the video they look the same. What do you guys think? Are they the same?

oohhhhh. Sorry, I have no idea. I'm sure others will chime in though.

dvrdwn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have installed the plug. I hope I didn't over do it. The only thing I had available was a 1/4" bolt and I hope I didn't dent it in too far the other way. I'll let you know when I get time to test it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The idea is to flatten it out. That expands it into the cavity. If you go beyond flat (dished the other way) it will get loose again.

dvrdwn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The idea is to flatten it out. That expands it into the cavity. If you go beyond flat (dished the other way) it will get loose again.

I bought 3 just in case. I will try It and let you know. Like they say 3rd times the charm.