Cordless tool batteries..

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Why is it that a replacement battery for a cordless drill is so expensive?<br /><br />Went to the Depot today with intentions to buy two replacement batteries for my 14 volt ryobi drill... Figured $20-25 bucks a piece, or there abouts.. Boy howdy, did i figure wrong...<br /><br />One 14.4 volt battery, $39.95... $39.95 X 2 = $79.90 .. Ouch.. :eek: <br /><br />Enter the Ryobi 14.4 volt drill kit.. :) <br /> Kit includes a case, drill, flashlight, TWO BATTERIES, and a charger for $79.00 even... The entire kit of goodies for 90cents less than a pair of replacement batteries... :confused: <br /><br />Of course, I bought the kit...

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Cordless tool batteries..

Thats what I do snap it is much cheaper that way.<br />If you break something on one you always have replacement parts. :D :D

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was actually a great price for the batteries. Usually 14.4 volts are about fifty to sixty dollars. Obviously they can't be worth that, if they are selling the batteries and the tools for what they do. You do have to be careful that you're buying compatible tools and batteries when you buy like that.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Computer printers, 49.99 with cartridges. Replacement cartridges, 30.00? Same with tools. Drills at first are cheap. Extra or new batteries are exorbiant. <br /> Why do you think the people who run companies have MBA'S? Major Ba--ard A--holes.<br /> All for them, nothing for you. Enjoy.

phatmanmike

Captain

snapper, i used to sell tools at sears and that was always the rant from everybody. a 18 volt battery is 79.00 but a 18 volt drill with 2 batts is 89.00 go figure. they never gave a reason why!

ZmOz

Captain

It's not hard to rebuild the batteries yourself. Just open them up (there's probably just a few screws holding it together) and inside you'll see standard rechargeable cells. Most use sub C batteries, which you can buy for about $2 each. You will probably end up with a longer lasting battery too, snce you can use higher mah batteries.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> It's not hard to rebuild the batteries yourself. Just open them up (there's probably just a few screws holding it together) and inside you'll see standard rechargeable cells. Most use sub C batteries, which you can buy for about $2 each. You will probably end up with a longer lasting battery too, snce you can use higher mah batteries.
Aren't there a bunch of cells that have to be soldered together? How do you solder on a battery?

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Good point ZmOz. I should of informed that but I am so sick and tired of these companies that take advantage of people. You can rebuild the batteries, ink printer cartridges and many other things but I feel we are in a throw away society. <br /> When it is easier to throw away than too fix it creates a atmosphere of stupidity. Why care about how things work. Just buy another one! <br /> I hit a tree root with my 5hp mulching mower and bent the crank. If I do the work myself and buy the part(on an aluminum deck) it will cost over 100$.<br /> Being as it is the end of the year I just bought a used mower(demo) with a 5hp. for 140.00$(non mulching with tin deck). Couldn't buy a motor alone for that price and doubt could buy a crank and tools to fix.<br /> I guess I am ranting just to say it is a sorry state when it costs more to fix something than to make it.<br /> Still a very good point on the batteries.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> It's not hard to rebuild the batteries yourself. Just open them up (there's probably just a few screws holding it together) and inside you'll see standard rechargeable cells. Most use sub C batteries, which you can buy for about $2 each. You will probably end up with a longer lasting battery too, snce you can use higher mah batteries.
Aren't there a bunch of cells that have to be soldered together? How do you solder on a battery?
Depends on the pack, but I know alot of them just use quick connect things. Alot of battery stores will rebuild packs for you for pretty cheap too.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Heat sinks are used on the tabs or terminals(depending on size of batteries). If not happy to solder on terminals then small drill bit and then can screw onto terms. It sill depends on the battery. <br /> Usually you take apart the device then see how it is put together. I have seen screws and also solder. I usually cut wires on batteries to device and then put them together with solder or other means. <br /> If you have ever seen the show from Canada"RED Green" they have a saying. "If it is not broke, you're not trying".

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've repaired dozens of radio, video camera, and tool battery packs. The battery pack cells are almost always connected with flat straps that take solder easily, use a pair of scissors and cut the strap near the bad battery, then lightly tin only the side of the straps where they will touch when connected, do this on the existing and new cells, overlap the straps and solder then together, works every time and no risk of killing the cells from heat. The only problem is the tight fit in many battery cases, which is why you only tin one side of the straps.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ok, I havn't tried this one yet but I bet it works:<br /><br />A lot of those packs have the batteries spot welded together with a little banding. You can spot weld your sub-c cells together using a common soldering gun with the tip removed and heavy copper wires attached in it's place. Leave the rest to your imagination.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

This is good stuff guys.. Thanks... One question.. Where to get the cells? Radio shack?

SlowlySinking

New cells with solder tabs are available on the web and on ebay. Many power tool battery packs use the same size cells, so save the old ones, usually only one cell goes bad so one pack gives you plenty of spare cells. I also check garage sales for tools with bad batteries, in a few cases I simply eliminated and bypassed the bad cell, you lose some power but it's free, most battery packs have a built in thermal breaker so over heating isn't a problem. By the way, I've saved many batteries by simply discharging and charging them many times over several days, this worked on my laptop battery pack, got about 80% of it's rated capacity and saved $180. I figure I have little to lose and lot$ to gain. <br /><br />The outrageous price of new batteries seems to indicate severe overpricing and likely a message to buy a new tool.

sloopy

Commander

www.towerhobbies.com www.hobby-lobby.com both of the stores carry Battery cells for electric RC airplanes (like a ZAGI) they are the same cells used in your cordless tool. they have every size and even kits to make your own batteries. <br /><br />On my drill (12 volt Dewalt) one of the batteries fell in the water and I did not retrieve it for a couple of days. Instead of throwing the battery away, I removed the cells from the case, and added 15 feet of 10 gauge wire leading to alligator clips, now I can run my drill off of my boat battery (or car).<br /><br />If you have an R.C battery Charger (for planes or cars) take your drill charger apart and charge your drill batteries with the R.C charger, I can charge my batteries real quick from either 120 volt or 12 volt, when I don't need to use my tool I charge them at the lowest Ma rating on the charger. My charger will even run my batteries through up to 100 times (takes a weak).

aspeck

Staff member

Harbor Frieght has a decent 18v set for $59! They seem to take a good bit of abuse. Set is much cheaper than the 18v battery.

muskyone

snap i have a cir saw that uses that battery you can have it if ya want i throw the drill off a pole one day so i have no use for the saw i gusse i could throw it away