Cooling water flow

z28

Cadet
Did I ask this in the wrong way? If boat is in the water not in gear & running. Would I see it peeing?

Hi I'm the new guy & have a question. I have a 1974 Evinrude 65hp outboard on 74 Norris Craft. I need to know where the water comes out. You know pee hole to show it is cooling. Thanks

Last edited:

Tripp Halbert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cooling water flow

before 78 i think omc motors pee out top exhaust, well it basically dribbles. someone would need to confirm this

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

No overboard water indicater for that particular year. Evinrude/Johnson did not start installing the tell tale until 77.

You can install one if you buy the indicator fitting that goes on the cowl, a short piece of hose, and the elbow that screws into the block. You'll have to drill and tap the block for the elbow but it's a pretty straight forward process. Check the Top Secret file at the top of this forum, ther's an article in there on retrofitting an older engine with them.

z28

Cadet

Thanks guys for the answer. I have added new water pump & the pee tube. Motor run great. Thanks for all the great info on this site. PS I read a lot.

Last edited: