cooling question

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been getting a 1977 70 HP, Johnson ready to put in the water, had trouble with it idleing and fixed that I think. Put in it a tub of water well over the top plate. Now it idles great and excerlates beyond expectations. Now my problem when idleing in the tub I see a stream of water out the front about 1/4 inch diameter a water spray of sorts out the side near the pivot point above the top skirt and what I think is the exhaust ports on the rear toward the bottom near what is now the water line. I see and feel exhaust out those tow holes and on an occasion either at idle or high idle there is erratic spurts of water. DO I have a cooling problem ? The engine doesn't seem to be overly warm after running for 10 to 15 minutes in the tub and seems to run perfect. Just curious on the cooling before putting it in the lake .
I found another post on some forum that the guy did a video on youtube and posted the results, mine has water at the same spots, Is this normal ?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdqA3zdWftY

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: cooling question

if you idle it on muffs & warm water coming out from the prop end you are all sweet , that tells you water going through the motor & discharging through poppet valves\thermostat

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: cooling question

Ok, Johnson outboards are something new to me with this boat I traded for. I ordered a repair manual for it but Pony Express hasn't got here yet with it. I thought maybe I had too many spots with water coming out and maybe a few seals or ??? gone.