cooling problems

checked out my impeller and is good, johnson 135 1973 lets water out of pee hole when not running but when runs doesnt then gets hott so i shut down what causes that

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: cooling problems

How long since waterpump and t'stats were replaced?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

checked out water pump or impeller and assembly seems good and had a second opinion on them to confirm before reinstalling, have not checked out the thermostats yet, figeured somthing wrong in lower en like a seal

the whole moter is supposed to be a new block but sat for 2 yrs . mostly salt water is what it was run in judjing by the corrosion

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with middleground, you can't always tell if an impeller is good just by looking at it. If it sat for 2 years your best and easiest bet is to replace the impeller and t-stats to be on the safe side, it's cheaper than a new powerhead. Good Luck.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

If you ever get into the engine far enough to be looking at the impeller you should just replace it, they aren't that expensive. While you have the lower unit off, pull out the thermostat and reinstall the thermostat cover and clamp a garden hose up to the water pickup tube (where it connects to the water pump) and check the flow of water out of the engine. Also check for any leaks where the water tube connects at the powerhead (at the top of the water tube). While you have the thermostat out check its opening temp in a pot of water on the stove with a cooking thermometer. Then replace the water pump before you put everything back together.

gonna change them both out today unfortanatly my parts are 3 days out, better safe than sorry i dont want to replace the power head. thanx

got the new impeller set went ahead and got the whole assembly, pulled out the thermostat and boiled it it popped when it got really hot is that right?

went ahead and replaced it anyways the old one didnt pop till boiling for five minutes then it still wouldnt recede all the way judging on the worn areas plus coparing it to the new one, put the new impeller kit in the whole thing housing and everything pretty easy, got back to gether still a problems with the carbs but that is no biggie, am I still supposed to have water come out my telltale without running? this concerns me we flushed everthing top and bottom when apart things flowed good every way I tested. First boat supposed to be a new block as 2 years ago really cant afford to ruin the powerhead or take it to a shop.

not running yet but when I hook up the muffs water still pees out telltale do I still have a problem then or wait till morn to tweek the carbs to start then see if it still pisses while running? and I found out it was a vernatherm not a tsatat wierd huh

thanx for the info feel kind of ignorant considering i rebuild car motors and everthing else, tring to expand my knowledge, we'll run her in the morn and hopefully things are good , had to run around all day just for parts, old moterparts are not in stock everywhere now days. just want to be on the water tomarrow, again thanx alot

well got it running today and it didnt get hot like it did before, I realize now that what I thought was the tell tale is actually a drain hole for water under the water level, there is no pee hole above on the port side at all just two exhaust ports on the back under the caseing. well shouldnt have to worry about that if it doesnt get hot. I'll be keeping a eye on it. right now the carbs don't seem to work properly, I got the kits and replaced all the floats and seals, will run fine after but then an hour later it wont start, so take off the carbs drop the bowls pull floats and sprayed out all holes, ran great then again same thing, how are the floats supposed to adjust, there is no adjusting screws of any kind, frustrating after all this work, any thought?