Cool weather fishing here in SW MO

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I am taking the kids out today/tonight...

We ussually have alot of luck in our launch cove with small mouth, sunnies, crappie, and whites from time to time...

However, with the weather cooling off, I know the fish are headed for deeper water...

Where to go?

What to use? (lures, worms, crickets, minnows)

how deep?

Thanks Guys!!

soundman2424

Cadet
Re: Cool weather fishing here in SW MO

Around here it's the opposite. When the weather/water gets cooler, most of the panfish you mentioned come shallower to stay warm and to follow the baitfish that come shallow to sun themselves. In the summer when the water gets warmer, they go deeper to stay cool and follow the baitfish that are doing the same thing. I also live in North Dakota where our water gets so cold, it sometimes freezes. ;)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Around here it's the opposite. When the weather/water gets cooler, most of the panfish you mentioned come shallower to stay warm and to follow the baitfish that come shallow to sun themselves. In the summer when the water gets warmer, they go deeper to stay cool and follow the baitfish that are doing the same thing. I also live in North Dakota where our water gets so cold, it sometimes freezes. ;)

Same here in WI. Water freezing? Here's me towing the ice shack across the lake. This was coming off in the "spring".

Attachments

• Tractor1 too.JPG
    Tractor1 too.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 0

soundman2424

Cadet

This whole season has been pretty much "cool weather fishing". I don't think we've had more than a handfull of days that have gotten over 90 degrees and now they're forecasting snow for Friday and Saturday. Just flurries but last year, our first major snowfall was the opening day of deer season and it never stopped. Almost 90" of snow which is a lot for this part of the country. I put more gas in my snowblower last winter than I have in my lawnmower this summer. :eek:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Snow Fri/Sat??!!! Since I'm east of you (N WI) it must be headed our way. They haven't talked about any white stuff yet. I suppose they'll wait until Thu nite. Summer didn't seem to start until Sept. That was our nicest weather. But that's over too. Had a low of 32 last nite and 24 the nite before. Another day in the northwoods.

Fishing has been tough because of it. The walleyes never seemed to really kick in. We saw muskies in the shallows sitting on rock piles. Threw everything at them just shy of the tackle box. Couldn't even get them to move. Figure they were going down deep to feed and coming back up to relax and digest their catch.....

I apologize for getting off track Azonic....

soundman2424

Cadet

I thought the weather would have put a damper on the walleye fishing as well but the FLW just had their season championship tournament here the last 4 days and they caught a boat load of BIG fish. 2 day total for the winner was 10 fish combined for over 31 lbs. Weather here has been windy and cold with a winter storm warning for part of the state tomorrow night. :eek: