Converting

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice
I need your help! this guy wants me to put a 1969 Evinrude 55 on a Classic 17 1/2 ft v-haul that used to have a 1974 Mercury 150. I can do this but the steering is totally different. the 55 had a pulley system and the Merc 150 had this rod thing( rack and pinion I guess). Is there a conversion kit?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: Converting

063.JPG064.JPG065.JPGboy is he going to hate the performance of that rig.there is a way to do it, I will look in some of my old pictures ,I did it a couple of years ago .it works but not the best.look under steering in the for sale area of this forum(parts and acc).95 hp less is sure going to kill the performance of that rig.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

what steering do you want to use? The 'Rude can be hooked to the steering rod, but you will need to bolt a steering tube support to the splashwell. Look at the Teleflex site for info. It is a common setup.

The boat will likely be a dog, with that 55.....What is it rated for?

82rude

Rear Admiral

though not the best pictures in the world click on the ones in my first post and you will get a idea.that 80hp had cable steering originally.

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure the rating. so i got a steering mount to hold down the telescoping rod and a ball and socket to mount to the outboard. the mount ( hold down) will workbut the socket won't screw to the end of the rod because the rod has an eyelet. The eyelet doesn't unscrew from the end. So now I bought some parts that are useless. any ideas on how to fix this? Has to be a way to make this type of steering to work.

Last edited: