Converting to Electric

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice
My boat trailer has surge brakes that do not work. I have attempted to blead, but I think that the master cylinder in the coupler is bad. I would like to convert to electric brakes as my SUV is pre-wired for a trailer with electric brakes. The problem is that the coupler will need replaced. Can I retrofit with a stationary coupler and remove the old one that was for surge brakes by cutting off the brake line? Also, where can I buy electric brakes at? To instal do you change out the entire hub? Thanks for any advise.

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: Converting to Electric

I bought some standard RV type electrics at a local tractor supply place. I've had them a year and a half and they work great. My towed load is about 4k lbs on a single axle trailer. I only boat in fresh water, otherwise I might have found a more durable option. On the other hand, I can replace both backing plates with all components except the hubs for $70...

boater4life

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can remove the old actuator and retrofit with a stationary coupler. You should also think about keeping your hydraulic brakes and lines and install an electric actuator. This system gives you electric over hydraulic, one of the best systems on the road.

Tincup$

Recruit

I just had a local trailer place replaced my surge barkes with a standard electric baking system, On my 36ft houseboat trailer and that is around 2100 lbs loaded. I had them seal all of the conecting wires, and they seem to think as long as I unplug them before lanching the boat I will be just fine! I will let you know! Did your work??