Converting to center console

luv2fish62

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I have decided to modify my 1964 Skillcraft to a center console and am looking for input on how far aft I should put the console. The boat is 16' and will have a casting deck in the bow with storage underneath. The deck will be aproximately 4"-6" below the gunnels and will have another small deck at the top of the gunnels so the nav lights and an electric trolling moter can be mounted. The boat is powered by a 1992 Evinrude 48 hp and I fish both fresh and salt waters.

Thanks for any input on the placement of the console.

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Converting to center console

Welcome to the iboats.com forum. The experts here, which I am not, can help you with any questions about your boat, motor and trailer. I made the same mod you are planning to a Glastron V-153 runabout. My biggest concern was seating for a family of five including three small children. I built my console with two side-by-side seats forward of the helm and utilized the back-to-back seats from the original configuration. I left just enough foot space for those seated in front of the console. That may not be a factor in your plan. I also had to get my console far enough forward for a cooler/seat behind the helm because I left the original splashwell intact. Also, I did not have any structural issues after removing my cap due to the Glastron design. Good luck with your project!

Last edited:

luv2fish62

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info Willyclay. My concern about the placement of the console is weight distribution. Being a 16' boat there is not a lot of deck space and I don't want to have too much weight aft making it harder to come on plane. The boat is under powered with a 48hp, I think, and I don't want to add to the problem by locating the console too far aft. I would like to have a seat infront of the console to help with the weight distribution but space is very limited.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

heres a couple of pictures of a 16' center console i used to own. it had enough room for a seat in front of the console and a raised casting deck. the console was pretty much dead center. it was a good little boat, i kinda miss it. anyway maybe these pics will give you an idea or something :p

newrsxwheels019.jpg

newrsxwheels015.jpg