Converting OMC 800 to Mercruiser Alpha 1

moosejaw

Cadet
Friend of mine has a 1985 16' FGlass Deep V Edson boat. Motor (305 cid) was rebuilt and runs very good. Problem is that the outdrive (either Cobra or Stringer 800) has a crack in the housing on the lower unit (prop section). It is split pretty bad and either froze or failed after being welded after hitting a rock a few years ago.<br />Now there are a few solutions.<br />1. Find another outdrive complete(mucho $$)<br />2. Find another lower housing and change it out.(??$$)<br />3. Find a different outdrive all together (ie a Mercrusier Alpha 1 or?)<br />4. Find another boat that needs a 305.<br />Anyone got any thoughts on this?<br />Of most interest is just to find a bare housing for the OMC 800 and have all the gears etc swapped from the cracked one to it. Is this unrealistic?

collawash

Seaman
Re: Converting OMC 800 to Mercruiser Alpha 1

Nothing is unrealistic, just depends on how much you're willing to spend. OMC made a great package, but they are no more. If I really loved the boat, I'd just repower if it were me. If I didn't love the boat, then #4 would be my option and then not have to worry about parts again. My 2 cents...

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Going from the Stringer to a Merc would require rebuilding the transom so you could cut a new hole in it. As stated above, depends on how much they like the boat.

KaGee

Admiral

That lower unit is popular. Just replace it with a used one. Doesn't matter what ratio the upper unit was, the lowers are all the same.