Converting 62 5.5 back to short shaft question

Capt Masterson

Recruit
I recently picked up a 62 Evinrude 5.5hp Serial # 5524R- 06295. It runs great and was only $175. It was converted from short shaft to long shaft by previous owner. My 12 foot Feathercraft transom is 15 inches measured from the top of the transom to the bottom of the boat, if the keel is added to the measurement it?s 16 inches. Measurement from the flat on the bottom of the transom clamp on the motor to the cavitation plate is 22 inches. I looked up the part numbers for the short shaft water tube, shift rod, and drive shaft and found a parts dealer who had them and would be willing to swap them for the long shaft parts on my motor. We would each pay shipping to get the parts to one another. I found a tutorial on line for changing the impellor so I can get the lower unit off. The 5 inch gear case extension simply unbolts.

My question is, what would be involved in removing and reinstalling the water tube, shift rod, and driveshaft?

Capt Masterson

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converting 62 5.5 back to short shaft question

If the 5" extensions were made with a kit, the waterube, shift rod and the extension tube for the waterpump are separate 5" parts that can simply be removed.

You will need to keep the parts at the top of the driveshaft.

You will need to remove the water pump; then the driveshaft will simply lift out of the gearcase to be replaced with the shorter one.