Converting 2 pipe to 1 pipe fuel line

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi
Decided to convert my 18 hp evinrude 1959 model to a 1 line system due to convenience.
I have en route a pulse pump and I will drill and tap into the top side plate and fit a threaded barb for the pulse line.
My question is ?
What do I do with the original pressure line which connected to the 2 prong adapter.
Do I just leave it or plug it up ?
Many thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You are going to be using a newer style tank too I hope.----Replace that fitting with the newer style fitting.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi
Yes I got other tanks and a spare 1 prong fitting.
Do I just plug the pipe up or do I need to replace the part on the crankcase

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just plug the air hose coming from the motor.

Last edited:

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Cheers and many thanks as I must have stripped and removed the carbs and electric starter 1000 times now lol and just didn't want to do it one more time to fit a different plug to crankcase .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What is your motor doing / not doing that makes you take the carburetor off so many times ??---The pressure tanks are very reliable and trouble free.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have 2 1959 evinrudes as the original one I got a few years ago I couldn't start ( turned out stuck reeds)
So I basically bought another one with a broken gearbox.
Long story short
Latest one was manual start only so I stripped and cleaned carb and fitted starter motor and bracket from first engine.
Wasn't happy with carb so decided to replace that as well as I serviced and replaced all parts on the carb from original engine.
It's dead easy now to do but just a long winded job doing in the yard as no room in the shed where the engines live lol
Here in the uk the temp is still very low until another couple of months....
Here in uk everything is metric now but you americans still use imperial sizes which we did 30 years ago which is frustrating to us amateur restorers as we only have metric tool kits lol

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In 45 years of working on these motors I do not ever recall seeing " stuck reeds " on a motor as the cause of it not starting.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Only presuming stuck or broken reeds to be honest as the compression was 125 psi on each cylinder
New plugs , leads and coils and all electrics etc
Spark would jump 1/4 easily and I did the link and sync on the engine too
It would only fire up with fuel injected into plug holes

New engine ....all bits transferred over and sync the carb etc and fired up perfectly so I can only assume it was reed issue

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Stuck reeds can cause it to run bad, but I have never seen it prevent a motor from running.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But the reed valves have nothing to do with the compression in the cylinders.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes I know they don't but it was the only thing left that I thought it could have been
One day I will take apart and see what it could have been.
I took off one of the side plates from the donor engine and the pistons look practically brand new.
Latest engine that I am converting to 1 line as compressions of only 110 psi on each cylinder but that was tested the day I got it so it may have creeped up a little since its been running.
One thing I have learnt about these old engines is to change all the fuel lines as the old black ones are all brittle and easily snapped