Converting 18 hp Nissan to electric start

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Due to shoulder problems I am considering converting my 1992 18 hp Nissan from a recoil starter to electric start. From What I have found, all I need is a Flywheel cup with a ring gear, a starter motor, a starter motor bracket, a starter relay, a starter switch/button and necessary wiring. Am I over looking anything?

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you much. One thing that has me confused. While searching for parts I have found that some Yamaha parts are also interchangable with Tohatsu/Nissan. Is that only random parts or does Yamaha have interchangable motors with Nissan?

dwco5051

Commander
Thank you much. One thing that has me confused. While searching for parts I have found that some Yamaha parts are also interchangable with Tohatsu/Nissan. Is that only random parts or does Yamaha have interchangable motors with Nissan?
The oldest boy was on the internet last night looking for a starter motor for one of his generator sets and asked me to look at something on his computer. That same starter number was used on about a dozen different outboards, a couple of walk behind snow blowers along with some other light construction equipment. I guess some of the bolt on stuff is pretty universal.

There are a lot of imported knock offs on that type of stuff. Both boys and I seem to collect old garden tractors. About ten years ago the other on kidded me about paying more just for the parts to rebuild a starter/generator when he bought a cheaper import for one he just replaced. My rebuilt Delco-Remy is still going strong and his lasted only about a year and a half. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If going for Tohatsu OEM spare parts, the conversion costs exceeds what comes right after "bit expensive territory" that's easily a one grand going from manual to electric start conversion. The dented flywheel alone costs + $400.00. If the motor is healthy and well tuned should rope start with just a 10 cm rope pull...

Happy Boating

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
SUCCESS! I made this happen.

1. Used flywheel- $150.00
2. Aftermarket starter- $85.45
3. Used starter bracket- $18.00
4. Nuts, bolts etc..- $10.00
5. Wiring- $8.50
6. Starter button -O'Reilly- $5.30
7. Starter solenoid -Used off of
scrap lawn mower- Free
Total-- $277.45

It works fantastic. Even with a messed up rotator cuff I can now start this sweetheart in 1 second!
Thanks for the input!
Chuck