convert solid two peice windshield to three piece walkthru. Practical?

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My windshield has two fixed halves with framework in the center... I'm hoping it is practical to<br />change this to an opening walkthru style. <br /><br />Is this do-able?

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: convert solid two peice windshield to three piece walkthru. Practical?

any remarks?

flashback

Captain

If you have a place to walk thru to, I guess it would make sense.. is your boat a bow rider?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Anything is pretty much doable. Why no give it a shot? We can't be of much help without seeing it. I would think that the toughest part of the job would be to find the right alumnium extrusions for the frame. Once found, the job should not be too difficult.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Your don't need to have any place to walk thru to to make use of a three piece windshield. Just having access to the front deck is real nice. Try this link. I've not looked at it, but my boat has a Taylor Made three piece windshield so they may have something for you.<br /><br />whoops! here it is.<br /> http://www.taylormadegroup.com/frames/fshome.html

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The original Vancouver? Hey neighbor... I bought my boat in Vancouver, USA!! I'm just down river near St Helens.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey DKW. You're practically right across the river from me. I live up in Hazel Dell. I used to service some water treatment equipment for PUD up there, also service Boise out there on the river. Your the first one to catch the drift of my signature. I thought I'd catch some flack from our BC neighbors.. I'll think of you on my next fly thru. Good luck with the windshield.

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do I have a place to walk thru ---- to? Almost a tongue twister there. Yes, as one responded, I want to get to my foredeck over the cuddy, specifically for the purpose of handling the anchor and anchorline. I need to anchor in the river, and I have seen some odd setups for boats like mine with no ready access to the bow.<br />Right now, (in theory) one would walk on the very narrow gunwale around the windshield to get up there... or step from seat, to dash board and high step over the windshield. Especially in foul weather, none of these seems real inviting.<br /><br />I checked out the Taylor Made site... not very specific there. I think I'm gonna counsel/consult with a local yard that does custom work and see what ideas they have. It is all flat panels... I agree, that given the right materials, it could be a real simple (in concept) sort of project.<br /><br />Thx for the feedback - great site!!

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could you put a hatch in the cuddy?

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

there is a skylight/hatch and that is how I am currently getting it done.<br />but I only have a 75 foot anchor line (retail packed from Walmart) attatched to a sand anchor... I am definitely limited to the shallows.<br />Out in mid channel where the "big boys" anchor-up for sturgeon and salmon, it's 40-50 feet, the anchors are a modified grappel with a pulling bouy in the line. I need more access and need to be able to react better when in the middle of the flotilla on a busy weekend.<br />I am/will be alone for the most part and that makes it all the more necessary that I be able to deal with this a little more smoothly than clamboring thru the cuddy and up through the skylight.<br /><br />I know some folks drop theirs from the cockpit area and while the line runs through the bow chocks it gets tied off aft of the console, too.<br /><br />Personally, this is one area of operating closed bow boats that's always been a bugger. And yet, I wouldn't have an open bow boat... too much bad weather, no storage, etc... Guess I just have to deal with it.