Convert pressure washer to generator?( project done)

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
I have a genrac pressure washer with a Briggs 6hp engine. The water manifold broke after 2 uses so the engine itself has hardly any time on it. <br /><br />I would like to convert this thing to a generator. Where can I buy a head for it? Will this idea even work?<br /><br />Thanks for any ideas.

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Convert pressure washer to generator?( project done)

Seen them on northerntools web page. 6hp should be good up to about 3000-3500. Might have to add a coupler or most add ons I believe are belt driven. <br />Good luck.

ndemge

Commander

my current project is a weedeater/alternator 12volt generator. Just picked up a free weedeater with a busted worm drive, but good motor and clutch off of freecycle.<br /><br />you've got the engine, and a cart already there, heck yeah. <br /><br />as qaztwo mentioned, northern has a nice veriety of generator heads that you could easily bolt right above your engine and with a pully

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

unless you purchase a setup like a car uses that will hold a stable DC voltage, its not practical for AC. AC is RPM dependant for frequency. thats why gensets are usually set up around 1750 RPM or have a speed reduction on the altenator itself. while solid state frequency generators work they are very expensive and most produce a square wave that wont power certian AC items. you will need a governing system to hold the RPM steady at 50/60 cycles on the genset ac output. most altenators will produce a varying voltage and fequency directly related to prime mover speeds. my advice is to build a go kart :) :)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

alden - I just put my 3kw 8hp back in mothballs this afternoon after running it for two days as a result of hurricane Katrina. We used this generator for hurricane Andrew and it works quite well for small loads. We used it this time to keep our two refrigerators going. The point for you is that our generator is 8 hp versus your 6 so if you go ahead with it don't plan on pulling down much of a load. With the 8 hp we burned about a gallon of fuel an hour

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by SoLittle:<br /> alden - I just put my 3kw 8hp back in mothballs this afternoon after running it for two days as a result of hurricane Katrina. We used this generator for hurricane Andrew and it works quite well for small loads. We used it this time to keep our two refrigerators going. The point for you is that our generator is 8 hp versus your 6 so if you go ahead with it don't plan on pulling down much of a load. With the 8 hp we burned about a gallon of fuel an hour
Your generator is overpowered...generally you can get about 500 watts/HP out of a small engine.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Alden, great idea, I use a 5HP gas engine and a 105 amp car alternator, the alternator output charges a car battery and runs a 1200 watt inverter. This way the engine speed doesn't control the 120 volt frequency. It easily runs my fridge, TV, and a few lights with no problem. Total cost, $80 for the inverter, the rest was salvage.

ndemge

Commander

slowly.... and it's a hybrid generator... if all your doing is watching tv, or listening to the radio, you can turn off the motor, and then fire it up a couple times a day to re-charge the battery.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

So does that mean during a commercial BRAKE it charges the batteries? J/K of course. :D

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the info all. I think I'll have to think this over now. It's looking like after buying everything I'll need it may be cheaper to get one of those 3kw gens at pep boys for $300.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by alden:<br /> Thanks for the info all. I think I'll have to think this over now. It's looking like after buying everything I'll need it may be cheaper to get one of those 3kw gens at pep boys for $300.
Watch out for those things with bad chinese honda copy engines. They aren't worth $300. If it doesn't have a Briggs/tecumseh/honda/kohler engine, don't buy it.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Well I decided to build the thing. I have been told that I need to mount a toggle to exite the GM alternator to get it to charge. Is the delco alternator the way to go with this?<br /><br />I liked the idea that I could use this setup while not having the engine running all the time and also the fact that I can charge the trolling bat without a seperate charger.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by alden:<br /> think this over now. It's looking like after buying everything I'll need it may be cheaper to get one of those 3kw gens at pep boys for $300.
Thats where my money would be. Plus buy a new whatever for the pressure washer so its back up and washing stuff. Northern has pumps for that too

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

NoelMG is correct, it easily runs the TV and lights with the engine off, after a while the used car battery went bad, too many discharges, now we use deep discharge batteries and have added a 50 watt solar panel. The alternator I used was an AC/Delco internal regulator unit, as I remember it needed a resistor to provide a voltage difference for the sense lead, it replaces the idiot light, other wise it won't charge. I believe the resistor was about 15 ohms but I'm not certain, guess the memory does go first, I built this a few years ago and it's about 400 miles north of Long Island at the hunting camp so I can't easily check. Maybe someone else remembers.

ndemge

Commander

If you havn't gotten an alternator, get a simple 1 wire setup.<br /><br />that's what I put on my van, does nothing till you hit about 1800 rpm, then it kicks in and does it's thing until it's shut off.<br /><br />Just sold the one off my van for $85, was a 140amp from summit racing.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Well I got bored the week before Labor Day and went ahead and built my project. I got a 94amp Delco alternator from the local junk yard, a wal mart deep cycle bat and a 1200w inverter from pep boys. I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER WITH THE RESULTS :D :D <br /><br />This thing is better than a regular generator. It will run my skill saw, miter saw etc. I can leave the thing off and run my tv, lights, cell phone charger for hours without the constant drone of a running motor.<br /><br />It looks like something from junk yard wars, but suits my needs perfectly at my cottage. :)

ndemge

Commander

I want pictures!

ndemge

Commander

no, really. I want pictures.